Sad Wood Stove Story From Georgia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
fox5atlanta.com
  • placeholder-16x9.jpg
Deadly Chattooga County fire ruled accidental

UPDATED:OCT 24 2016 06:15PM EDT

CHATTOOGA COUNTY, Ga. - Fire officials have determined that a mobile home fire in Chattooga County that killed six people, including four children, was accidental.

Glenn Allen with the office of Insurance and Fire Safety Commissioner said a family of five along with a relative who was spending the night, were killed in the fire on Airport Road Sunday night.

The victims have been identified as Miron Jones, 29, his wife Demi Jones, 22, and the couple's three daughters Clair Jones, 5, Lola Jones, 3, and Olivia Jones, 3 months.

The family's niece, 5 year old Jada Kendrick, was also killed.

Allen said the fire was caused due to the improper installation of a wood stove heater. The heater was reportedly installed too close to an interior wall in the living room, which is where the fire began.

Officials said the owner of the home installed the heater and was also killed in the blaze.

“You think it's never going to be you I thought the same thing,” said Miron's mother Melissa Jones. “The last thing I seen on the news last night was the family that died the night before in the fire. 35 minutes later I get a call from my daughter-in-law. It's my family tonight.”

Tyler Bishop tweeted about the tragic scene saying, “I will never forget those screams from the family last night.”

Last edited by a moderator:
terrible, terrible news. There is a valuable lesson here which I'm sure that most know on this site, but for the newbies that don't. DO NOT CUT CORNERS WITH YOUR INSTALL, IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF ANYTHING ASK HERE (theres a few real good pros on here that always seem willing to help) or BARRING THAT HIRE A REPUTABLE PROFESSIONAL. NOTE I SAID REPUTABLE, MORE THAN A FEW PEOPLE HAVE BEEN BURNED THAT I SEE POSTING AROUND HERE BY SO CALLED PROFESSIONALS...ME INCLUDED. Sorry to yell but I felt it was necessary!

It is very sad. Local reports say that the heater was installed just hours before the fire occurred.

Lives are worth much more than dollars saved cutting corners on install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a shame...

Status
Not open for further replies.