Sadly Neglected Chimney - Can I Install an Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sem76

Oct 2, 2006
We recently acquired this 1940's Cap Cod. It appears there was a gas insert or stove in the fireplace at one time (see gas pipe in pic). The outer brick on the chimney looks good... the inner chimney (see pics) is baaaad and dirty! Notice there is no damper or cap at all. I'm hoping I can slide in a woodburning insert with associated SS liner with insulation. Of course, I'll clean it up first... and I have a couple of family members who can fix up the brick in the fireplace as needed. I'm not so interested in heating (the rest of the house if fairly new and efficient) as I am having an occassional nice fire to relax by.

Warnings? Comments? Suggestions? All appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• Chimney2.jpg
    Chimney2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 418
  • Chimney3.jpg
    Chimney3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 416
  • Chimney4.jpg
    Chimney4.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 415
Welcome.

There a LOT of variables that cannot be handled on-line. You need a local professional, or several, to give you some advise. It MAY be safe to install a wood insert and liner. It will depend on how the masonry fireplace and chimney was constructed. There are safety codes that apply to use of a wood burning appliance and your local code enforcement and/or chimney professionals shouild be able to help.

Sean

Some things to consider:
Depth of masonry mass - how thick?
Air spaces? Where?
Hearth?
Can the fireplace be upgrade to be "code compliant"?
If not, can an insert be installed with UL Listed materials that were tested for use with non-compliant chimneys?

Jugding from the pictures, that fireplace would be unsafe to burn an candle in

Said so apprioately neglected

Let me qualify my statement, I'm not an expert, installer, dealer, inspector, or even that handy so take it with a grain of salt. But, FYI - there is system where they put an inflatable bladder down the flue, then pour motar mix around it. I don't know the name. Maybe someone else can post the name or a link. Maybe it will work in your situation? Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.