Safe temperatures around stove and masonry chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squisher

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2015
vernon BC, Canada
Ok Santa was good to me and delivered me a infrared thermometer. So I've been going nuts zapping the temperature of everything and would like some info on safe temperature ranges of objects surrounding my stove and fireplace.

If there is a thread or threads on this if someone could provide a link or two it would be much appreciated. I've tried searching but have been unsuccessful.

What I'm wondering about is safe ranges of temp for things like my wooden mantel above my open fireplace. And I'm also very curious of what sort of temps on the outside of a masonry chimney would be considered acceptable. I have an interior masonry chimney and can measure it along a good portion of its length before it enters the attic.

I don't know if there would be any generic sort of ranges of temperature that I should be looking for or if it would be to specific to the actual chimney/home to make generalizations about. Also if there is a certain temperature that I should be concerned if I hit?

Technology is dangerous in these hands. I'll be surprised if I don't wear the battery out on this sucker in the first day. Lol.

My apologies again if this topic has been covered lots.

90 degrees above ambient (room temperature) is considered the max surface temp for combustibles in product testing. Essentially the highest temp where you can put your hand on it and hold it there.

Reactions: Squisher
You have the tool to use for double checking / looking for anomalies in a proper installation. I'm assuming your setup is to code, or are there things you are concerned about?

BB gave you the number, but that doesn't supersede having things setup properly. If you go near that figure for a proper setup, then you definitely have something to worry about!

In all, I bought my IR tester for the same thing,,,, the wood stove. I used it for a few years (a bit obsessively) as I found out that Rutland thermometers are junk, where the best location on the stove is for a thermometer, etc... But in all, after that settled down, I use it far more often now to ensure the cast iron is at 350 F before putting pancake batter down! I haven't made a blonde or burnt pancake in years due to that thing!

Enjoy!

Mine found that electrical outlet that was preparing to burn this joint down last year.

Reactions: pen
Mine found that electrical outlet that was preparing to burn this joint down last year.

Exactly, lots of uses for them. Great tool to have the in arsenal.

But never, ever let that red beam fall in the five inches between the side of a 650 degree stove and the fireplace firebox wall. Unless you still have fast enough reflexes to grab a handful of the cat that goes in the gap like a rocket from across the room chasing the beam. !!!

Don't ask.

Thanks very much For the replies. No real concern, just curious as to what the norms are for temperatures.

I do have some other questions regarding chimney clearances but will start another thread on that if I can't satisfy my curiosity through searching.

I have seen 107f on the backside of my chimney and up to about 125f on the stove side of the chimney right above the thimble pass through. The backside of the chimney seems to run about 100f fairly consistently throughout the length I can read. Near my stove I've seen about 115f at my nearest combustible. On my open fireplace temps are lower, I'm seeing about 90-95 on the hottest part of my wood mantel.

When in doubt, post some pictures and give some measurements so that clearance to combustibles can be checked.

You are on top of this, well done.

Thanks. I know my stove and pipe clearances are good. I self installed the stove and an uninsulated liner this fall which was verified/inspected by a independent(had not bought stove/liner through them) WETT certified inspector. I am going to assume my masonry chimney doesn't meet 2" clearance requirements and am relying on that my clay liner wasn't compromised(no history of a chimney fire or any other issues). I couldn't fit an insulated liner without possibly having to break out tiles which I don't even know would be an option as my downstairs chimney has quite the bends in it to go around the upstairs fireplace/smoke shelf.

A couple of basic pics of the fireplace, stove, and in the pic which shows my ceiling heat shield I'm wondering if the wood ceiling and wooden trim that goes right to the masonry chimney negates the 2" clearance right then and there? Or am I not understanding this properly?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Also in the last pic of the open fireplace I have to assume that the drywall above the fireplace is framed onto or within 2"s of the outside masonry of the chimney. House was originally built in '61 but extensively renovated by the previous owner nearly 10 years ago.

Unless you still have fast enough reflexes to grab a handful of the cat that goes in the gap like a rocket from across the room chasing the beam. !!!

The red dot can keep me and the cats entertained for hours

Beautiful home! Do you know what's beside that thimble? In other words, was the wett guy happy that interior clearances are good?

The thimble where the stovepipe goes through? It is open on the front(stove) left and behind(staircase goes up behind so the back is open from basement to first floor ceiling where it enters the attic, on the right hand side is a clean out for the upstairs fireplace.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Don't worry about the stovepipe thermometer, I'm nearing the end of this load and down to only embers.

Ok now that I look closer on the backside of the thimble there is a framed wall. No perceptible heat through the drywall or on that wall at all until the masonry is exposed. It is definetly hotter higher up, like right before it goes through to the attic. I was burning my upstairs fireplace throughout the day as well and so figured it could be getting some additional heat from that adjacent flue?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

My apologies for my big ole hairy arm. Lol.

Sounds like solid masonry in that area .,, things are good!

Thanks. I will read into those links further.

The one I got is a 'ryobi' brand and reads only to 610f. My wife had got it at Home Depot here in Canada and thought it was reasonably inexpensive. About the most info I could pry out of her in regards to a 'gift'. I'm fine with the low top temp as I also got a stove top thermometer for Christmas to complete my collection(already had a stovepipe thermometer).

I am having to much fun with it annoying the hell out of my family telling them what the temperature of anything and everything is.

Reactions: pen
Wait till you run it around the edges of windows and doors in cold weather. <>

I have had mine for eight or nine years. Just bought another one on a snap deal on Amazon for ten bucks and it and my other one are dead on with each other. The day after I bought it they jacked the price back up.

I want to get one too. What brand did you get? Also, this active thread had several interesting links! https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/nfpa.151056/

My head is really hurting after reading that link in there on masonry chimneys. I feel like i'm becoming obsessed. I have to work a long shift tomorrow starting really early otherwise first thing I'd be doing is crawling into my attic and infrared temping and inspecting things. Lol. I'm not scared or worried but basically all my life I've burned obliviously and now armed with a tiny bit of knowledge I must check every aspect over for myself.

Wait till you run it around the edges of windows and doors in cold weather. <>

I have had mine for eight or nine years. Just bought another one on a snap deal on Amazon for ten bucks and it and my other one are dead on with each other. The day after I bought it they jacked the price back up.

Yes I've been considering that this infrared thermometer could have almost endless uses in evaluating my home.

Squisher, all the temperatures you mentioned sound pretty low to me, even if you were taking them on combustible surfaces. I think you are in good shape in that regard. As far as the 2" space between the masonry chimney and combustibles, your IR gun won't do you much good for peace of mind since that is a bigger problem when you get a chimney fire and not so much with normal burning unless you are consistently getting readings up around 160F or thereabouts, which it doesn't sound like you are.

OK . . . truth time . . . have you aimed it at your wife/girl friend/significant other and then declared "Whoa . . . this infrared thermometer says you are wicked hot!" ;) :)

Reactions: Squisher and pen
Squisher, all the temperatures you mentioned sound pretty low to me, even if you were taking them on combustible surfaces. I think you are in good shape in that regard. As far as the 2" space between the masonry chimney and combustibles, your IR gun won't do you much good for peace of mind since that is a bigger problem when you get a chimney fire and not so much with normal burning unless you are consistently getting readings up around 160F or thereabouts, which it doesn't sound like you are.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for that. So my best bet for safety will be to just burn clean and monitor my chimney I would assume. I'm still curious as all heck to measure the attic section and top of my chimney, just to see what temps are like.

OK . . . truth time . . . have you aimed it at your wife/girl friend/significant other and then declared "Whoa . . . this infrared thermometer says you are wicked hot!" ;) :)

That.......is a fantastic line that I may just have to borrow. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.