1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Safe temps for 0" clearance?

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by pcampbell, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcampbell

pcampbell Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    I have a DV wall furnace that is listed as 0" clearance to combustibles. I measured the pipe temps today with my infrared gun and found the hottest temps to be around 240F. I am just wondering what is considered the maximum safe range for clearance to framing wood, drywall, etc.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. R&D Guy

R&D Guy New Member

Zero clearance is likely just for the unit, not the pipe. Pipe almost always has clearance required. The install manual should specify this. If its 240° F and touches wood/combustibles then I'm sure its too hot. If it's 240° and there is an air gap then you need to measure the surface temp of the surrounding combustibles.

ANSI Z21.88a-2007 is the standard fireplaces are certified to today, your furnace is likely a variation of that standard, but Z21.88 says any combustible surface not exposed to the room (not seen e.g. inside the wall) has a maximum temperature limit of 90° F above ambient temperature. So if your house is 70° inside, the combustible cannot exceed 160°. That temperature measurement is taken when the system is at equilibrium (hottest).

If you are concerned then I don't think there is any reason you can't add extra clearance. I've been guilty of that before.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.