Safe to modify insert surround?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lml999

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2013
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
I'm finishing the installation of a blocking plate above my Enviro 1200 insert and was planning on cutting a couple of holes in the cosmetic surround that covers the fireplace opening around and above the insert. This is not the stove itself, but the sheet metal panel that gets installed around the insert.

In another thread, someone mentioned that an insert shouldn't be run like a freestanding stove unless it has been tested in that configuration...which led me to wonder. If I modify the cosmetic surround, does that constitute an untested configuration?

I'm looking to move more air from the fireplace cavity, and was going to install a couple of grilles in the cosmetic surround. At minimum, that usage *could* throw more heat out and above, suggesting that the combustible clearance above the stove should be greater. I have a painted wood mantle 27" above the top surface of the stove...

Comments appreciated.

Usually, you could run the insert without the surround and it would still be a safe installation as long as it is in the fireplace.

But... you bring up an interesting point with the mantel clearance. I would contact Enviro and get their blessings first.

I would run the insert before you go to the trouble. We have the 1700 and I have run the insert with both the faceplate off (while doing my break in burns to make sure everything was hooked up right) I didn't notice a difference. With out something to move the air out of the cavity I don't think you will get much benefit. With the blower running I'm sure there is some heat in the cavity but I don't think much we can't sit within 5-6 feet of the insert once it's up to temp because it the air out of the blower is so hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.