Safety and Wall Around Fireplace is Hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulF3TD

Jul 10, 2015
Australia
This has probably already been touched in the forum many times. Just bought a house, first winter here. It has a Jotul F3TD wood fire place. It is set on a corner with plaster board walls not covered. The specs states that I need 600mm from each side. Because it is on a 45 degree angle to the corner of the room, the closest to the wall is far less, around 300mm. To the back there seems to be good spacing. On touching the wall with my hand, in the area closest to the heater, it gets pretty hot. I can keep my hand without burning myself but it is hot. I feel too hot.

I thought about standing a metal plate shield on each sides and behind, between the heater and wall, but not sure if this is enough. What is my best option?

What do the instructions say? If it says you can reduce the clearances with a heat shield you can if you follow their directions if it doesn't say you can then no you have to move it.

Welcome to the forum!

Your best option is probably to have a professional take a look at it. Are there licensed chimney sweeps in Australia that could perform such an inspection?

For now, if you could post some pictures that would help. Judging from your description you many need to pull the stove a bit off the wall.

Does the stove have the rear heat shield attached and is it connected with double-wall pipe? I see on the Jotul 3TDIC that this reduces the corner clearances substantially down to about 400mm. Still 300mm sounds too close for this stove without wall protection. You could greatly increase the safety of this installation by installing ventilated wall shields on the two corner walls. That would reduce the clearance to the plaster walls down to 300mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.