Safety, bah

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Safety is non-existent.

Coconuts, that is.

No safety, but d*mn strong legs...

No problem mate

safety.jpg

Reactions: Osage
That guy has done that many, many times too based on how fast he's working. Just been lucky.

God in Heaven! He is half-monkey! Unbelievably dangerous.

Though palm tree wood is rather soft, I believe.
Yes however it’s a grass and depending on the palm can be a bit of a pain. In the vid, this is a classic coconut palm that have nice smooth bark.

Reactions: stoveliker
I hired a man to cut an Acacia tree down for me when we lived in Africa. Some Acacia trees have big thorns, as did this one. He shows up one morning with a chainsaw, of sorts. First thing he says, “Boss, I don’t have any petrol. Could you buy some for me?” So off we go to the station. Once back home, he climbed WAY up in the tree (no safety ropes) and starts to cut. Or is should say, attempts to cut. He saws and saws, and it’s quite obvious that the chain was very dull. After awhile he came down. “Boss, I think my rope (as he called the chain) is finished. Can you advance some money so I can go buy a new one?” I did. He went off (of course he had no vehicle, this involved a good share of the day due to walking and then taking transport to the next town over), and got a new “rope.” I happened to be going to a large city about an hour and half drive away that day, and while there I looked for and found a file. Meanwhile, he cut down some of the tree with his new chain, and it became dull. That evening, after he was gone, I sharpened the chain for him. He was astonished the next morning at the speed it cut. I showed him the file and told him that you could re-sharpen the chain. He was amazed. When the job was done ( which included digging a big hole by hand to grub out the stump) I gave him the file as a bonus. He walked away a happy man, saying that he was surely the only man in town with such a tool. I doubt whether the file got good use, though.
On the other hand, I also went out one day to help cut some firewood for us. All we had that day was axes. The axes in that country weren’t anything like ours. Well, they had a handle and a metal end with a sharply side, but no balance or weight. That day, I was the one who didn’t know what he was doing. The men from there WAY out cut me. I’m sure they were laughing at me when I want looking, which was fine. I would have laughed with them.