Safety equipment on EBAY, any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom123

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2014
East Granby CT
Hi: I saw this deal on Forester safety equipment on EBAY for $58.95. Are the chaps sufficient or should I buy a different brand?
Safety equipment on EBAY, any good?

I have a pair of Forester chaps and they are more substantial than my ones from Husqvarna. They use a bunch of layers of ballistic fiberglass in them. I had a pair shipped to a lady on the forum a couple of years ago because I didn't want to have to call her Stumpy.

I would rather not be referred to as Neil.

1.) Any chaps are better than none.

2.) Some chaps are better than others.

Some have sturdier outer shell to resist snags and tears from brush. Some have more fill volume. Some have more layers of filler. Some have Kevlar strands mixed in the fill. Some you can put in a clothes washer and others you can't. Some wrap around the calf for added protection and to keep them from rotating around the leg. Some buckles/clasps are more rugged than others. Some straps are wider and are sewn on more securely.

In general, Forester chainsaw parts and accessories are usually the least expensive options. They may not be as durable as others, but they get the job done for many people in this forum and others.

Thanks Everyone. I have no chaps right now and I have some PayPal money so I'm gonna go for it. I can always upgrade later.

FWIW, I've tried many different chaps, and what I like for under $100 are Labonville full-wrap (6-ply).

For eyes, I wear HF safety glasses for under $2.
http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-resistant-safety-glasses-94357.html

Forestry helmets have many considerations--availability of replacement parts (muffs, shield, webbing), tightening mechanism, noise reduction rating (NRR) of muffs, comfort of muffs, clear shield or metal mesh or synthetic mesh shield, et al. For instance, I like the comfort of Peltor muffs on my helmet over Husqvarna.

Yeah, but you can always pick up another Husqvarna helmet for $30 at Lowes... not a bad deal.

Always wear a helmet when felling, to protect you from the widow makers that can occasionally fall from your or other trees.

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.