Safety issue? Tube fell out.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wizards8507

Nov 7, 2016
CT
Hoping to put my mind at ease before bed. Mid-burn, one of the tubes fell out of my Hampton HI300. I managed to safely remove the tube from the firebox and it's cool, but is it safe to let the stove run overnight as normal? I usually do my overnight burns 75% closed with the blower on low. Any ideas on what caused this and how to prevent it in the future would also be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It won’t hurt anything to burn it like it is for tonight.

It won’t hurt anything to burn it like it is for tonight.
Thanks. We diagnosed the issue pretty quickly, looks like the chimney sweep reinstalled this tube backwards after cleaning. I'll be sure to check his work in the future.

Just an update in case anyone Googles the issue and comes across this thread.

When the tube was removed in order to remove the baffles for cleaning, it wasn't put back together properly. There's a notch on one end of the tubes that locks into place in a hole on the side of the stove. The manual for the insert says "use a pair of vise grips or pliers and tap it into place with a hammer," which I tried ten times with no luck. Every few days the tube would slip out again. It turns out that "tap it into place" is a huge under-sell. In order to get the tube inserted past the notch, you have to have the vice grips darn tight and whack them with the hammer hard. Once I really banged it in there, it locked into place securely.

Just an update in case anyone Googles the issue and comes across this thread.

When the tube was removed in order to remove the baffles for cleaning, it wasn't put back together properly. There's a notch on one end of the tubes that locks into place in a hole on the side of the stove. The manual for the insert says "use a pair of vise grips or pliers and tap it into place with a hammer," which I tried ten times with no luck. Every few days the tube would slip out again. It turns out that "tap it into place" is a huge under-sell. In order to get the tube inserted past the notch, you have to have the vice grips darn tight and whack them with the hammer hard. Once I really banged it in there, it locked into place securely.

You're either not getting the notch lined up correctly or not knocking it in the entire way. I've never had an issue with locking them back into place. Once you knock it in you shouldn't be able to pop it back out with the vice grips. Lock the pliers on tight and don't be afraid to smack it a good one. If the pliers slip you don't have a good grip.

You're either not getting the notch lined up correctly or not knocking it in the entire way. I've never had an issue with locking them back into place. Once you knock it in you shouldn't be able to pop it back out with the vice grips. Lock the pliers on tight and don't be afraid to smack it a good one. If the pliers slip you don't have a good grip.

Yup, that's what I ended up doing and it's 100% locked in now. I simply wasn't knocking it in hard enough since the manual said "tap." "Tap" made it seem nice and gentle but it took some good whacks.