Safety question for modifing a hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runnysucklehose

Sep 3, 2008
Bristol, TN
Hello everyone, I am new here, and I am glad to find such an informaive forum on a subject I have always been interested in but know little about. I am a handyman and I am in the process of bidding a bunch of jobs for a new client. The first job on the list invloves her wood stove, which she uses as her primary heater in the winter.

The stove itself is a modern, heavy duty, efficient unit that was installed last winter. I will try and get the brand name for you if that helps. The stove is free standing, on four legs, not an insert, however it is installed somewhat like an insert, eg. the front of the stove is flush with the hearth opening. It sits on a brick pad and there is a 12 inch gap between the hearth wood and the stove on the top and both sides. The homeowner wants to fill that 12 inch gap with a natural stone border, leaving enough space between the stone and the stove so the stove could be removed if necessary, about 1.5". In other words, she does not want it to look like an insert, where the stone work butts up with front of the stove, but she wants something more decorative than the empty space there now. In other words, this stove is on a box with one side open, and a fan in the back to blow heat out into the room. I am being asked to make that opening even smaller and want to know what is the best way to safely do that.

Can I simply frame in that opening with 2x4's, cover the fraiming with cement board and do my masonry work? Or are there safety issues with having exposed wood boxing in the stove?

Also, are there any good tutorials that you all know of that may help me out here?

I may be over thinking this, but the only experience I have working with wood stoves were all installed in the open with stone work going right onto the wall of the house behind the stove, so I am a little nervious...

Thanks in advance, Joe

Find out the make & model of the stove. Find the installation/owner's manual for the stove. All the required clearances from combustibles will be spelled out in detail in that manual. Can you shoot us some pics of the situation? That would help a lot. Sounds like what's called a "hearth stove" installation...but regardless of what it's called, the clearances to combustibles must be met for it to be safe to operate. Come back with a bit more info, and we'll all jump all over it. And welcome to the forum! Rick

I went back to take a better look at the job and it turns out I was a little off in the way I discribed it. There is a brick hearth behind a metal heat shield. I guess I thought that if there was heat shield it would be covering something flamible. I removed a piece of the metal and the brick is in good shape, the home owner now just wants the stone work done directly over the brick, which makes my job easier. Now she has to decide if she wants to use the natural flat stones found on her property or go with veneer. Would the natural stone would hold more heat? Any ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.