1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Salt Lake City, here we are!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by webbie, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I was on the same plane as Harryback as well as some other hearth folks. In fact, when one of the engines failed the pilots asked if any Pellet Stove Mechanics were on board - and 4 folks raised their hands.......(ha ha)...

Lots of snow in the mountains surrounding SLC - see pics.

Show is just getting set up - does not start for the trade until Thursday - the days before are for education, exams, meetings, etc.

I'll post anything interesting that comes up while I am here.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    What kind of show? Is this for hearth retailers and such, or is it open to the public?
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Expo. Where the dealers all go and tell "dumbass customer" stories in the manufacturer's hospitality rooms paid for with your last stove purchase.
  4. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    It's for the trade only. About 13,000 attendees, and a very large indoor display along with a large outdoor burn area.

The parties here are not legendary like in the High-Tech biz, etc. Most people are working too hard. Lots of folks taking a few days of training along with certification tests for Pellet, Wood and Gas.
  5. Corie

Corie New Member

Loc:
    Halifax, VA

uhhh, yikes?!?!
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Hmmm. Sounds like there will be a lot of hot air in SLC this week. :)
  7. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Reminds me of that old Bob Weir song:

Salt Lake City
    Where it's so easy keeping straight.
    Salt Lake City
    Sure makes Des Moines look second-rate.
  8. Mo Heat

Mo Heat Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Yeah. As we all know, people in the high tech biz are malcontented, lazy, malingering, good for nothing, ... ;)

Of course, if I'd had to climb up on roofs everyday instead of just tapping on a keyboard...
    I suppose slipping on a roof can quickly put the kybosh on a good party buzz...
    Fat fingering a keyboard, well, not much danger there, unless you happen to work at the nuclear power plant.
  9. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Mr. Mo,

Didn't mean to slander high-tech...I was more talking about:
    1. The amount of money they tend to throw around (I read about those Google parties)
    2. The partying attitude (too many mom-and-pops here)
    3. Our advanced ages (remember, many of us started our businesses in the late 70's)

We do have some heavyweights like Lennox and Heat N' Glo who do things up pretty good

One thing I can report for sure, it must have been a good year! The quality of the displays are up, up, up!

Lots of chinese faces too (lots of manufacturing must be going offshore).

I'm writing this from the booth - show opens tomorrow, but I'm here making certain the internet works, etc. - I'll post pics of the booth soon - meanwhile, here is proof I am in SLC
    (Outdoor burn area with the mormon temple in background).

Attached Files:

10. joshuaviktor

joshuaviktor New Member

Loc:
    Northwest New Jersey
    Curious about trends in stoves/inserts, etc.

Tell us what you see in terms of where the industry is going, please.

More efficiency?
    More Raw Power/BTU's?
    Whole house heaters with ducting?
    More integrated electronics (x10 automated chimney sweeps?)

Thanks!

Joshua
  11. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    Anybody out there from the Washington, DC area that saw the Mormon lit up at night around the beltway..... with "Surrender Dorothy" painted on the bridge approaching the temple......?????
  12. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I'll report my opinions along with pics....

The industry is quite varied, because there is everything from electric fireplaces to BBQ grills, etc. etc.

One thing for sure - a little bump in Pellet Stoves!

So far don't see a lot of central heat, but I'll await full setup.....well, there are quite a few of those water furnaces - Heatmoor, Central Boilers, etc.

Always a lotI'll of nice cabinet work, mantels, etc.

Hearthfalls - a waterfall with a fireplace (I think I took a pic of this last year).....

I'll write a little opinion when I get the real feel.
  13. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Methinks you are talking about the National Cathedral aka "Fantasy Land". The first time I came around the Beltway at night, many years ago, I almost ran off the road. From my angle it looked like Disneyland was in the middle of the Beltway.
  14. wahsega

wahsega New Member

They are there not as manufacturers but as thieves. They got busted at an outdoor rec equipment show selling knock offs and taking tons of pics so they can steal the designs and undersell us. It was at Salt Lake City and is a big national show like this. Mountain Safety Research is the one that got the Feds involved and i guess they are going to limit taking photos.
  15. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Well, in this case many of the chinese are shaking hands with the existing players and are already supplying them! Many US companies are already doing biz in Asia, and I think a relatively high portion of other stuff is headed there.

Grills, for instance, will probably be 80% asia.

Fireplace tools and accessories are going that way

Cast Iron stoves are also big - some companies just selling the "shells" and allowing gas insides to be put in here.

No doubt things are shifting.
  16. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    One of the most disturbing things i found out at the show was that pilgram hearth products are going to china now. They were very proud and had samples set up next to each other, they challenged me to pick the ones from china. I picked correctly 4 out of 4 times. Hmmmmm. I do give them that its better then most chinese forging, but you can still tell.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.