Q&A Salts and other chemicals for keeping chimney clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

A slightly odd request; I was reading a book on wood heating... awhile ago- and as I was looking over it- a chimney cleaning thing caught my eye. it was (red devil?) chimney salts. It is supposed to clean off the creosote without the scrubbing. I would like to know the name of the product and how it works. thank you-

Answer:

Nothing (except some industrial chemicals used by sweeps) can remove the glazed creosote. But there are compounds (they are catalysts) that can be added to a woodfire which help- over a period of time- to reduce the creosote and make it easier to clean. ACS (anti-creosote) is one major brand name. If you are just trying to clean it off of bricks (smoke stains)- baking soda and water paste (and a little elbow grease) can work- as can the "brick and stone cleaner" available in many Stove and Fireplace shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.