Salvaged punky stacks from back in the woods.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I was pretty sure that I would run out of good wood before this winter is out. I was ready to start scrounging the woods for branches that had fallen when I found a big stack of split oak that I had stacked in place out there about three years ago. It was in kind of a shady area just off one of my paths. I remember the tree was pretty punky when I dropped and split it. I inspected a few splits. Some were thoroughly rotted but some looked pretty good. The splits that were from the core of the tree, and not on top of the stacks,
had NO punk or rot. So, I took my trusty Fiskars hatchet, sharpened it, and shaved off the punk down to the good core wood. There was a good cord in that stack but I managed to salvage a little over half a cord of good, dry wood. I resplit one of the big pieces and found it to read 17% MC. That'll work. And combined with the other seasoned wood I have, should get me through this winter.

RE: pic below. All front row plus half the back row is the salvaged wood.
wood 2.3.jpg

Wow I usually just find change around the house. I wish I had a stack of wood that I forgot about then found. You can't beat that, and it's ready to burn. Nice

Status
Not open for further replies.