sarsaparilla wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osuna

Oct 15, 2014
NE Rhode Island
Hi all, got my hands on approximately a cord of sarsaparilla today. Never burned this kind of wood before. How would you compare it to other hardwoods? More btus than ash but less than white oak? Thsnks and Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarsaparilla? If it smells like sarsaparilla, then maybe it's black birch, which is my favorite firewood (seasons quickly, burns long & hot). Or maybe you mean sassafras?

Maybe you mean Sassafras, which is mid-range in terms of density and BTUs' I think it will be seasoned in a year.

Maybe you mean Sassafras, which is mid-range in terms of density and BTUs' I think it will be seasoned in a year.

I thought it was black birch when I saw it, but was told it was sarsaparilla by the dude who gave it away. It smells great, reminds me of root beer, for sure. Good to know that it'll season rather quickly.

That guy was probably wrong. Unless it refers to stained birchwood used in cabinets, which in that case you would not want to burn. Like already stated previously he must have meant sassafras . Sarsaparilla root from which they make the drink similar to rootbeer is a vine like plant. BUT if you are in Australia then those down under do have a rainforest tree by the name you refer but it is better known as pink or white ash. sassafras I have not burned and only read that it burns rather quickly but ash maks excellent firewood. Trees are frequently called by different names in different parts of the world or country which can make things confusing.

Last edited:
Hi neighbor I think being from R I what you have is Sasafras. Smells like root beer and has a orange ring under the bark. It seasons fast in just one summer if split in the spring and stacked in the open uncovered.

It burns fast so I use it for shoulder season and as kindling. I find that some not all can give off quite the spark display so the stove door must be kept closed.

The leaves of sasafras can be eaten straight off the tree, if people see you walk over to a sasafras tree pull off a leaf and eat it you'll get quite the reaction, though I've never made a meal out of them they make a good snack.

Status
Not open for further replies.