Saturdays CL score and my wood world

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
Saturday, made a nice score on CL, 5 FULL loads of well seasoned and split oak/birch/and other misc hardwoods. some of the wood was rotted, some of it is solid with some surface rot, but most is perfect looking. all in all a good score, endedup up taking the whole entire pile form him. (5 truck loads) and then i made one truck load to the dump, which consisted of rotted wood, bark and rotted palettes he didnt want. (he just bought the house and didnt want the stove or the wood so put it all on craigslist for free) Best part is, he was 3 miles away.

I think it ended up being around 1.5 cords +/-

Hard to judge by the pictures since its mixed in with my other wood.

The pile on the left is saturdays score, (there is some mixed in under the green tarp and under the brown tarp as well to level out the stacks. the stack all the way on the right is freshly split and stacke oak I scrounged a few weeks ago.

the rest off the wood is from oak trees i dropped in the yard last summer

not paying the electric company to heat the house

priceless

Attachments

• small0002.jpg
    small0002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 261
  • small0005.jpg
    small0005.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 289
  • small0004.jpg
    small0004.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 302
Great score. Hard to beat the price too.

Free wood is good wood.

Free . . . and already cut and split is better wood.

Free, already cut and split . . . and close to your home wood is the best wood.

On the flip side . . . I wonder what the home owner will be thinking when heating oil jumps back to $4+ gallon in future years . . . I'm not a betting man . . . but if I was, I would be willing to bet that we'll see the return of $4 gallon heating oil in the next few years.

My second heating season was with wood like that. burn't nice but was a real mess!

70marlin said:
My second heating season was with wood like that. burn't nice but was a real mess!

Yah, it looks like it will burn real nice, but im scared of the mess it will make, fortunatly between being thrown into the truck, then thrown into a pile in the yard, then stacked, ALOT of of the mess and bark has fallen off. I just keep telling myself FREE!

Status
Not open for further replies.