"SAVING" the good stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danno77 said:
I'm of a slightly different mindset about saving the good wood. I currently have about 5 cords or so of wood set aside for this winter. Two cords are highly seasoned, another two cords is mixed of about 25% max, and another cord is pine that is ready to go.

I'm mixing the pine with the highly seasoned stuff. I could be mixing the pine with the 25%maple, but why do that when the partially seasoned stuff will be fully seasoned by the time I get to it (or at least closer than it is now).

Burn the good stuff now, the not so good stuff will be better when you get to it.

NOW, if we are talking about shorties and uglies, then that's a different story. Throw them in now for the shoulder season.

How DID this guy get the Beautiful wife??? ;-P

Backwoods Savage said:
barkeatr said:
I have 17 face cord of two year old dry wood. I keep putting fairly dry scrounged wood in front of it as far as what is next to be burned. ...i dont want to burn the good stuff just yet. stupid I know but...this is the first year im ahead and have real dry wood. I have half of next years wood stacked..want to save the good stuff untill mid november.

What do you mean by saying it is stupid? If so, there are a lot of us on this forum who are real dummies. Save the best for January-February.

Gotta go with Dennis on that . . .

Oct - oil (well, not this year)
Nov - Slabwood (pine/hemlock)
Dec - paper birch
Jan - Oak
Feb - Oak
March - Oak early/slab late (when my body is just worn out and can't be dragged back into the woods anymore)
April - slab

SEEMS as though there are different approaches...all sound good, keep smiling!

Pretty normal if you ask me . . . right now I'm mostly burning my punks (wood that is a bit punky, but dry), chunks (short pieces) and uglies (pieces that are twisted, crotches, messed up from the splitter so I cannot pack the firebox very tightly) . . . also burning a bunch of poplar and softwood. No sense burning the good stuff when you don't really need to go long and hot right now.

2/3rds of my wood is in my garage. It was brought in and stacked random. The remaining 1/3 is all Oak under cover and will be brought in around December when I have more room. So for now, I cherry pick when I bring it in to the stove. Meaning - I am grabbing uglies and junk wood, and setting the oak pieces and premium BTU wood further back in the stack for later in Jan and Feb.

Status
Not open for further replies.