Saw chains and sharpening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a granberg precision grinder. You lock the angle down, so all your teeth are at the same exact angle. Same for the depth gauge and how deep you cut. I use a small 12V jump pack to power it. Once you get used to it, it's very fast to sharpen a chain and it's razor sharp. I don't know if you guys have seen projectfarm on youtube, but he compared different sharpeners, and this one came out on top. The chain was actually sharper than a factory sharpened chain. It clamps right on the bar so you don't have to take the chain off, which can be a pro or a con

Grinder2-scaled.jpg precision-grinder-g1012xt-1.jpg

Once you know what a sharp tooth is supposed to look like,and what it does...
You can use any tool to achieve the sharpness. Factory sharpness isn't a very high bar to achieve.
The sharpest chains you will find will be sharpened by hand by someone who knows what they are doing.
Chains ground by a grinder will be the best average of the adjustments available.