saw gas / stabil questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish the startron had a built in measure like stabil does. Just bought more stabil today as I was refilling gas cans and the generator after loaning them out during the storms last week. Had the startron in my hand, then turned around and grabbed the stabil out of convenience.

pen

The side of the bottle has graduated markings on it but being the engineer type you are I imagine you're being picky and like the precision of the squeeze & dump bottle Stabil comes in. ;)

The side of the bottle has graduated markings on it but being the engineer type you are I imagine you're being picky and like the precision of the squeeze & dump bottle Stabil comes in. ;)

Yep, I do like that stabil bottle. I'm more like the OCD/PIA type though ;lol

Is your gas actually 10% where you live? Around here at least, the pumps all say "up to 10%" but never really is. I got curious one day and analyzed the gas from my Shell station (not that hard) and it was only about 5%, which I've heard is about typical, unless a particular region requires it to be higher. It can vary depending on the season, too, I believe. I'm really no fan of the stuff outside of my favorite beverage, but ethanol is only really a big problem if you get too much water in your gas which is why boaters hate the stuff so much. Alcohol actually absorbs water in small enough quantities, but at a certain point you get phase separation which causes all the havoc in an engine. Products like Heet are just alcohol, although methanol usually. Also, be very careful about what is in some of those additive products. Many of them are just alcohol themselves and just add to the problem. You can always look up the ingredients for any such product in the MSDS which you can get online for any such product.

Best thing is like others have said. Just mix what you use in a month or two or less. The reason gas goes bad over time is oxidation, so keep your containers full (also keeps moisture out), caps on tight, and as cool as possible (heat is a killer) and use it within a couple months. Stabil and other antioxidant stabilizers can keep it good for about 6 months or longer depending on conditions. I like to keep about 10 or 15 gallons on hand for power-out emergencies for my generator. Instead of treating it with Stabil or whatever, I'll rotate it through my cars and get new gas in the containers every couple of months. You have to use it sooner or later anyway. Keep it fresh.

BTW Stabil is an antioxidant to keep gas from going bad (oxidizing) over time. It doesn't do anything about the ethanol. Some people do swear by products like marine Seafoam if they are worried about too much water in the gas.

Reactions: osagebow
Status
Not open for further replies.