Saw issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
While I am not a small engine mechanic, I am fairly handy. I am having issues with my Husqvarna 372XP chainsaw. The saw will start and run like a champ, go through a fuel load, refuel, and the saw won't start.

I'll let the saw sit, go stack or split or something, come back to the saw in 20-30 minutes and it fires right up. Runs through that fuel load, and repeat.

New plug, air filter, fuel filter. Running good fuel and mix.

I am stumped here, please help.

KC

iskiatomic said:
While I am not a small engine mechanic, I am fairly handy. I am having issues with my Husqvarna 372XP chainsaw. The saw will start and run like a champ, go through a fuel load, refuel, and the saw won't start.

I'll let the saw sit, go stack or split or something, come back to the saw in 20-30 minutes and it fires right up. Runs through that fuel load, and repeat.

New plug, air filter, fuel filter. Running good fuel and mix.

I am stumped here, please help.
how long or when did it start doing that?

KC

Tough to say if I'm not there. My gut feeling on it though is a faulty ignition coil. It's killing the spark when it's hot. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to clip in a good park tester and test it while it doesn't start. It could be a lot of things though. Test the spark and go from there.

Still getting spark when saw is hot.

does that saw have the winter setting on it?

Ok. Next things I would look at would be fuel quality (gas-oil mix and water content). Cylinder walls. Pump diaphragm and interior carb condition. Test the tank vent. It's sort of a routine I have whenever I work on a saw. If I don't find a fault in any of these I would then do a leak down test to check the seals and intake condition.

Are you using choke to restart it when it's hot?

Not sure on the winter setting.

No need for choke after hot.

iskiatomic said:
Not sure on the winter setting.

No need for choke after hot.
most pro saws have summer and winter settings i beleave thats a pro saw! had to switch mine sunday it was running funny and retune.(its cauld carb iceing) Thats what i think is the problem

What happens if you run it for 1/4 tank shut then it off...will it restart? Could it be flooded? Ever try getting into a position where you could totally depress the trigger to restart it?

Status
Not open for further replies.