1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Sawdust Burning Boiler

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Eric Johnson, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Jebatty posted this link in another thread, but I think it deserves some more scrutiny and discussion.

http://www.biomizer.com/Flash/index.htm

Obviously, this is targeted at the owners of WoodMizers and other portable (and not-so-portable) sawmills. Pretty neat idea, I think. But it sounds to me as though they realize that they need to expand the market beyond that group, so there's a lot of discussion about converting solid woody biomass into dust. That's a bit more complicated than just shoveling sawdust into a hopper, but it's an idea that has merit, especially for people with a lot of old lumber or brush to get rid of, not to mention ag residue, etc.

But the inability to burn anything bigger than sawdust ("BioDust") also limits its appeal, I think.

What do you guys think?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. leaddog

leaddog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hesperia, Michigan
    I Sure wish I could have gotten in on the betta testing. I think it has alot of potential. I just joined and will watch things there.
    leaddog
  3. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    I saw this demo at a Woodmizer show last summer. The introduction date has been pushed back several times, I think, so Woodmizer must be working on the buggy sawdust.
  4. seppi

seppi New Member

Loc:
    Northern Minn.
    Seppi here from . Minn. We area test site for BIO-MIZER ,and are waiting for our unit to be delivered. We do 75% custom work in all milling aspects. This looks to be a very useable site for us wood & bio-mass users. SORRY for dual messages. Not familiar with this site.
  5. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Welcome to the Boiler Room, Seppi. That was quick! I hope you'll stick around and give us a first-hand account of how it goes and what's involved. As you may have noticed, we have a pretty good base of accumulated knowledge and experience here in the Boiler Room where hydronic heating systems are concerned, so I hope we can help out in the setup.

Pook: I thought about you when I saw that link. Why don't you give us some detail about what's involved in storing and burning sawdust?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.