Sawdust/cedar smell when burning pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi all, weird issue that I'm hoping someone can help with.

Occasionally, when running our pellet stove, it gives off a strong smell. The smell is something akin to freshly cut wood/sawdust, or sometimes sweeter like a cedar sauna might smell. We've had the stove, a Ravelli Roma, for about a year now, and it was purchased brand new. Aside from this odd issue, we love the stove. Usually, the smell dissipates and we just kind of ignore it, but today it was particularly strong after putting in a fresh bag of pellets (but it didn't really start until the stove fan kicked on).

I did notice, recently, that there were some pellets stuck in a little well in front of the heat tubes, that were blackened but not totally burned. They must have fallen in when I was adding pellets. My guess was that it could've been those pellets sort of 'vaporizing' from the constant hot air, but even after cleaning them out it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

We have a working CO detector in the room, and have even tried positioning it in the outlet over the stove, just in case. It doesn't go off or anything, so while I'm not worried about CO, I am slightly worried about the smell. It can't be healthy to be huffing it all day long!

If it helps, we're currently use La Crete pellets, trying to save a bit of money — they burn great, but I don't think we had this issue until this happened. I vacuum the stove pretty thoroughly every two days, including removing the upper baffle and getting the dust out.

Could it be that there's an excess of sawdust/particles in the hopper? Could it be that a pellet is stuck somewhere deeper, causing the smell to escape into the room? Something else.

Hi all, weird issue that I'm hoping someone can help with.

Occasionally, when running our pellet stove, it gives off a strong smell. The smell is something akin to freshly cut wood/sawdust, or sometimes sweeter like a cedar sauna might smell. We've had the stove, a Ravelli Roma, for about a year now, and it was purchased brand new. Aside from this odd issue, we love the stove. Usually, the smell dissipates and we just kind of ignore it, but today it was particularly strong after putting in a fresh bag of pellets (but it didn't really start until the stove fan kicked on).

I did notice, recently, that there were some pellets stuck in a little well in front of the heat tubes, that were blackened but not totally burned. They must have fallen in when I was adding pellets. My guess was that it could've been those pellets sort of 'vaporizing' from the constant hot air, but even after cleaning them out it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

We have a working CO detector in the room, and have even tried positioning it in the outlet over the stove, just in case. It doesn't go off or anything, so while I'm not worried about CO, I am slightly worried about the smell. It can't be healthy to be huffing it all day long!

If it helps, we're currently use La Crete pellets, trying to save a bit of money — they burn great, but I don't think we had this issue until this happened. I vacuum the stove pretty thoroughly every two days, including removing the upper baffle and getting the dust out.

Could it be that there's an excess of sawdust/particles in the hopper? Could it be that a pellet is stuck somewhere deeper, causing the smell to escape into the room? Something else.
I may occasionally smell a little smoke just as the pellets are igniting but nothing strong and it may only last a few seconds.

Clean the venting lately?

Reactions: Marc S.
We get wood smell but it comes from outside exhaust pipe. Do u have a window cracked anywhere near where your exhaust blows out?

We get wood smell but it comes from outside exhaust pipe. Do u have a window cracked anywhere near where your exhaust blows out?
I don't know how your stove is vented but try to clean the end cap also. That is the style I have on my stove and that end builds up. I run a brush over it every few weeks.

Attachments

• 31a+P7SsH9L._AC_.jpg
    31a+P7SsH9L._AC_.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 161
I don't know how your stove is vented but try to clean the end cap also. That is the style I have on my stove and that end builds up. I run a brush over it every few weeks.
Have same end cap. Should have said we only get the smell outside in the very beginning when it lights up. No smell inside.

My guess it this. If they were blackened, they were stinking!