Sawhorse

bboulier Posted By bboulier, Jan 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM

1. bboulier

bboulier
    Feeling the Heat

Feb 9, 2010
    Loc:
    NE Virginia
    One of my sons got me a Northern Tools firewood sawhorse for Christmas. Here's the link:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200448974_200448974

The sawhorse seems to be pretty rugged. The steel is heavy gauge with a nice finish. It is well designed, easy to put together and take apart, and the legs fold into the body for storage. The only wood I had to practice on were some branches trimmed from fig and pear trees, but it worked great for those. (Pictures below, but out of order. Picture 1 shows how compact the sawhorse is when folded up, and picture 3 should come before picture 2 .) I wish I had this last year. Will make cutting easier on your back and save time. As always, one has to be careful, but I have the feeling this will be safer than leaning logs on top of each other. There is a rail to hold the wood down, but it might be a good idea to add a bungee cord for the same purpose.

IMG_3046 rev web.jpg
    View attachment 90173
    IMG_3042 rev web.jpg

2. bboulier

bboulier
    Feeling the Heat

Feb 9, 2010
    Loc:
    NE Virginia
    Here's the picture missing from the previous post. Three cuts for the wood.

IMG_3044 rev web.jpg

velvetfoot and Laurent Cyr like this.
  3. Flatbedford

Flatbedford
    Minister of Fire

Mar 17, 2009
    Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Interesting.

4. bogydave

bogydave
    Minister of Fire

Dec 4, 2009
    Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice gift ;)
    Looks like you are getting some use out of it :)

5. bodhran

bodhran

Feb 7, 2010
    Loc:
    Newfoundland Canada
    A bit late to this post but I bought this sawhorse yesterday and it works out great.

unnamed (5).jpg

6. Sconnie Burner

Sconnie Burner
    Feeling the Heat

Aug 23, 2014
    Loc:
    River Falls, Wi
    Where did you buy the sawbuck? You must get along with your neighbors. That little electric saw must be really quiet. I do get some looks when I fire up my saw in town. But I at least wait till after 9.

Jon1270 likes this.
  7. Knots

Knots
    Minister of Fire

Mar 13, 2013
    Loc:
    Alfred, Maine
    Is that one different than the Northern Tool one? Where did you get it?

8. smokedragon

smokedragon
    Minister of Fire

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    I had the same problem, can only work certain hours without getting stared at. That was until they had a need for a chainsaw (with experienced operator included). Now, I don't get any grief over when I use my saws.

Jon1270 likes this.
  9. bodhran

bodhran

Feb 7, 2010
    Loc:
    Newfoundland Canada
    I got it at Princess Auto. It's the same kind of store as Northern Tool, etc. And yes that saw is great for backyard use. I only have softwood to cut and less noise means less attention.

10. bodhran

bodhran

Feb 7, 2010
    Loc:
    Newfoundland Canada
    I had grief with the city inspectors over a few cords of wood on my front lawn. The nerve of some neighbours to complain :p

11. Knots

Knots
    Minister of Fire

Mar 13, 2013
    Loc:
    Alfred, Maine
    I ponied up for the northern tool unit. "On sale" now for $56.99 which is the limit on what I'd pay for it. I'm going to weld some feet on it eventually (similar to the one in bodhran's post). Also thinking about something to put on the steel uprights to save the chain in the event of a saw strike.