Saws up and running I.D Please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana

Attachments

• new wood.jpg
    new wood.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 413
  • new wood 2.jpg
    new wood 2.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 387
Cool Jay

Looks like maple to me!

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Cool Jay

Looks like maple to me!

Billy
Its maple turn very ornge this A.M. So I know its not silver....Sugar or norway?

Me too, Maple.

Good scrounge - a year from now it'll burn nice.

Smokin looks good, is that your sawbuck in the background?

zap

zapny said:

Smokin looks good, is that your sawbuck in the background?

zap

yes its 2 saw bucks one is a 2-x and the other is a 3-x use them together or separate them if need be.

chinkapin_oak said:
Yeah, looks like hard maple with alot of heartwood.

I was thinking sugar but this would be my first one. No know sugars around here that I know of.

any leaves left under the piles of branches ?
The Norway maples here all have very plain single color rather bright and large yellow leaves, while the other maples have multi-color and red leaves.

billb3 said:
any leaves left under the piles of branches ?
The Norway maples here all have very plain single color rather bright and large yellow leaves, while the other maples have multi-color and red leaves.

No leaves left...The wood turn a bright orange color over night.

I would say not Norway. The Norway I have and seen is white. The bark doesn't look like Norway either (from what I can see in the pics). Maybe Sugar...

Looks like maple to me, I don't think it's a Norway. Hard to tell but I would say it's either a sugar or a red maple, kinda looks more like red maple to me.

I'd say sugar maple too. Norway bark looks a lot like ash bark, sugar gets that coarse kind of sheets of ridge that look almost like they want to flake off like that big piece in the front on the picture. Red doesn't get that ridge look either so I say sugar. Sugar is dense wood, weighs a ton, denser and heavier than Norway and especially red.

jpl1nh said:
I'd say sugar maple too. Norway bark looks a lot like ash bark, sugar gets that coarse kind of sheets of ridge that look almost like they want to flake off like that big piece in the front on the picture. Red doesn't get that ridge look either so I say sugar. Sugar is dense wood, weighs a ton, denser and heavier than Norway and especially red.

They are much heavier than silver by a ton.

If they are much heavier than silver maple then it probably isn't red maple. Likely sugar then.

I didn't know if there was Red maple out your way. If there is that is what I would go with. Is Red also Swamp?

FireAnt said:
I didn't know if there was Red maple out your way. If there is that is what I would go with. Is Red also Swamp?

All I ever see is silver or Norway. Red here would be a crisom king also know as Norway. ( Atleast in my neck of the woods)
Never seen any maples hartwood turn orange before.

smokinjay said:
FireAnt said:

All I ever see is silver or Norway. Red here would be a crisom king also know as Norway. ( Atleast in my neck of the woods)

Check out my pics on the end of the pile and in the trailer. Exact same thing the maple turned real orange and the bark is similar. Heavy too. What would people call this kind of Maple. What would us New Englanders call it?

Attachments

• php5bvqTuAM.jpg
    php5bvqTuAM.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 265
  • phpPb5khzAM.jpg
    phpPb5khzAM.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 263
FireAnt said:
smokinjay said:
FireAnt said:

Check out my pics on the end of the pile and in the trailer. Exact same thing the maple turned real orange and the bark is similar. Heavy too. What would people call this kind of Maple. What would us New Englanders call it?

Looks to be the same to me..

I agree on the hard maple. Should make you some fine burning Jay.

Smokin' Jay's tree looks like a Sugar Maple to me, so does the one farther down this thread. The USGS tree distribution maps show the entire state of Indiana well within the range of Sugar Maple.

I agree with sugar maple. On older sugar maples the bark makes long wide plates, as exhibited in your pictures.

There is alot of variation in the bark of red and sugar maple, to the point where you really cant be sure just by seeing the bark. Just to be clear I am not talking about the red variety of Norway maple or any of the ornamental red maples. Red maples have green leaves just like norways, sugars, silvers and striped maples. The leaves are the easiest way to tell though, red maple has three lobes compared to fives lobes on sugar, silver and Norway maples. I don't know how common reds are out there though, they are very common here in pa. Also there can be alot of variety in the way the cross section of maples look, especially if the tree was tapped for sap collection, and yes in many area people used to tap all different species of maples for sap collection, not just sugar maples. I saw someone mention swamp maple, which is just another name for red maple.

Back to the pics, by the bark it could be sugar or red, if it's heavy then I would say it's sugat maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.