SBI Osburn Hybrid 45-MF Version 1 and 2 Circuit Board compatibility?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

The main difference is the new Thermister for Proof of Fire for the new Version 2 Board. Part # PL44064

The old version 1 board uses a ceramic snap disc. Part # PL44032

Has anyone updated to the new circuit board? Is it possible?
It does fit in just fine. See pics below.

Version 2 board has male lugs J2 & J3 that I believe are for the new Thermister.Old Version

Pic 1 - Old Version 1 Circuit Board for stoves with Serial number 1619 and lower
Pic 2-6 New Version 2 Circuit Board

Attachments

• V1-SBI-OsburnHybrid45-MF (1).JPG
    V1-SBI-OsburnHybrid45-MF (1).JPG
    331.9 KB · Views: 230
  • V2-SBI-OsburnHybrid45-MF (1).JPG
    V2-SBI-OsburnHybrid45-MF (1).JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 179
  • V2-SBI-OsburnHybrid45-MF (2).JPG
    V2-SBI-OsburnHybrid45-MF (2).JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 235
  • V2-SBI-OsburnHybrid45-MF (3).JPG
    V2-SBI-OsburnHybrid45-MF (3).JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 232
  • V2-SBI-OsburnHybrid45-MF (4).JPG
    V2-SBI-OsburnHybrid45-MF (4).JPG
    203 KB · Views: 169
  • V2-SBI-OsburnHybrid45-MF (5).JPG
    V2-SBI-OsburnHybrid45-MF (5).JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
How'd you make out with this Don?
One of the support techs said to send it back and they will send the version 1 board.
All the other brand stoves I work on, the new boards are usually downwardly compatible.
I was hoping someone put in the new thermistor and got their old stove updated with the v2 board,
If they are not compatible then why did I get this v2 board when I requested a board for a serial # 274 machine?

As you can see in the 1st pic from the newer Osburn Hybrid 45-MF owner's manual the new Thermistor is connected to the two lugs in the center of the new v2 board and is mounted on the exhaust blower housing where the old ceramic snap disc is located.

The 2nd pic shows the Thermistor assembly. It does not mount in the hole of the exahust housing like the ceramic snap disc and cannot be connected to the same wires since it must be connected to the spade lugs on the new V2 circuit board. However if it was bolted to the exhaust housing and a new wire ran to the new circuit board, then would that work better than the v1 board?

Attachments

• ThermistorDiagram.jpg
    ThermistorDiagram.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 177
  • SBIThermistor.jpg
    SBIThermistor.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Maybe someone didn't take the time to reverse engineer. Would that change constitute a modification that's not covered by original stove testing.

Maybe someone didn't take the time to reverse engineer. Would that change constitute a modification that's not covered by original stove testing.
That could be. If the existing wire harness could have been used for the thermistor then it would be plug and play. If that could not be done then an upgrade kit should have been created!
Then the v1 board would not need to be still in production! That is costly and is why the other stove companies do not do it this way!

Status
Not open for further replies.