Scan 60 vs Englander 17-VL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwdunbar

Dec 5, 2013
Asheville
OK. So I have spent a considerable amount of time on this forum and other similar ones trying to determine if the extra money spent on a Scan 60 ($1200) would give me a stove that better suits my needs than and Englander 17-VL ($549). Aesthetically, I love them both but the Scan does seem to have a better fit and finish. The size for the space lines up well. I have the following additional criteria that I could use some help on:

1. I would like a stove that starts and heats quickly even if it needs smaller wood more often to stay running

2. The visual appeal while burning is very important. The glass should stay clear and should be a focal point of the room. This is going to be more for hanging out in our great room than a workhorse that keeps the house warm for 7 months a year.

3. Longevity and availability of parts is important. I am not a "tinkerer" by nature and want something that is going to last with basic maintenance.

4. I have two small kids so any advantages one of these stoves has over the other regarding safety for children would be helpful to know.

5. I have never owned a wood stove so if one is more forgiving on a newbie over the other that would be great to know.

Thanks for any help!

1. Both should do that.

2. Both stoves will keep the glass just as clean as the other.

3. The Englander will win here. Parts availability and customer service is one of Englander's strong points. Not saying this is a sticking point with the Scan, but the Englander has some damn good customer service.

4. Both are big hot boxes sitting at 500-700 degrees in the middle of your home. Not sure if you could say one is safer around kids.

5. Both are simple to use non-cat stoves. Nothing complicated about either.

Englanderstoves costumer service is the best out there don't know much about the scan but can vouch for englander. Like browning bar said they are stoves that get very hot ull have to teach safety to the kids no stove is better in that area.

Looking at the Scan Stoves US website no longer shows the Scan 60 listed as part of their stove links page.
http://www.scanstoves.us/page/76

Due to support and part availability I would suggest Englander.

Hey Cw,

Thought I'd chime in as I've burned a Scan 61 for quite a while now. While I haven't owned a 17, I'm more than familiar with Englander products as I've owned three of their stoves over the years...just terrific products. On to your questions:

1. The Scan is very easy to start. Assuming it's properly vented, it's easy to go from cold to ripping in short order. (My first load is always split quite small in order to quickly build a base of hot coals for the larger sized splits to follow.)

2. Arguably the stove's finest asset. Huge front glass (15" x 18") and aggressive baffles make for quite a fire show...much more like a fireplace than a traditional wood stove. Excellent, raging secondary combustion if you so wish. The glass is always clean and when I do wipe it off, I only need a damp rag...little or no buildup, even after repeated reloads.

3. You mentioned the fit and finish of the Scan...it remains in excellent shape after five years of burning... I've yet to even change a gasket. The Skamol panels seem to be holding up really well too, though I do worry about sourcing them when the time comes to swap them out. Scan was purchased by Jotul some time ago, so I remain hopeful that I'll be able to find the parts I need when I need them. Englander is a phone call away, super easy to get parts and technical service/advice.

4. The Scan is a "jacketed" stove and has a large air gap on all surfaces, except the front. The stove "top" is a removable dummy, the actual stove top is about an inch beneath it. (I believe the intention was to make the stove like a large passive radiator. It moves plenty of air without the aid of a fan.) The dummy stove top really doesn't exceed 250 or so, regardless of how hot the stove is burning; the sides and back generally run considerably cooler than that. However, it puts out tremendous radiant energy through that big front window, and it and its frame get dangerously hot.

5. Now your mileage may vary, but I personally find these shallow rectangular fireboxes to be a little more finicky than a traditional square firebox. You have to be more careful with the wood placement (because of the lack of depth) and make sure there are proper air channels front to back. Nothing too terrible, but you can't just toss the wood inside and shut the door; it takes a little more care than that because of the limited space. (My Englander 30 on the other hand, is a flat out joy to load...apples to elephants comparison there.)

Lastly, I'll say that I am a stove guy. I'll buy a stove and burn it for a year or so and sell it...I do this all the time. (My wife is thrilled.) The Scan is the first stove I've kept and have no plans to replace. (As much as I love my 30, Woodstock has a new stove that I'm just itching to drop in its place...and it's not even available yet; that's how bad I have it.) I'm keeping the Scan.

Hope this was helpful.

IIRC there were some issues with the Scan60 that led to its being pulled from the market. My vote would also be for the 17VL, or a Regency Alterra CS1200 perhaps?

I have been burning an A-10 for about four years and and I can say it is a great stove, very simple to operate. It really puts out alot of heat for its size, if it was twice as deep it would be perfect. The quality is top notch, very solid and nothing shoddy about the construction. The front glass is large, 17.5 wide by 15 tall, and radiates alot of heat while giving a great view of the light show. The sides are jacketed so they don't get as hot as a radiant stove the front would be just as hot though. In my opinion for looks the A-10 beats the 17 hands down. To me the 17 looks like a copy of a European stove while the Scan is a European stove. There's nothing wrong with the 17 but in a comparison even while it costs more the A-10 wins. Remember it will be setting in the room all year so you want something that looks good as well as works good.

Status
Not open for further replies.