Scandia Model 100 Circa 1978

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
So, we went to a yard sale today and we picked up a Scandia Model 100 Circa 1978.
It came with a 4 ft double wall pipe with a roof cap. A layer of rust needs to be removed and then it needs a coat of high temp paint. It also needs rope insulation and the joints need to be filled with high temp cement. He spent a whopping $45.00 on the whole kit and kaboodle.

It does have a tag on the back with the following information:
Franklin, Warkwick RI; Taiwan. UL standard 737 1482

Tested 9/14/78. PFS report 171. Serial #: 100319 12765

Clearance: Side 36", Back 24, Pipe 18"

I have found this thread on them so I realize that it wouldn't be anyone's first choice.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/258/

The good news is that we probably won't use it here. Rather it will likely go to a family beach house; primarily as decoration (I hope). There is a first floor fireplace. DH plans on installing it on the second floor. There used to be a stove hooked up to the chimney there. Clearances shouldn't be a problem since the floor is ceramic, there are no walls around the chimney, and it has a cathedral ceiling.

Is there anything in particular we should be aware of in terms of how to go about getting a permit?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
~Cath

Decoration yes, house heater, no. It's a Taiwain Jotul knockoff. I don't think you can get that permitted. Did you see the other posting for the hearthstone phoenix?

I did see the Hearthstone Phoenix. It appears to be gone without explanation. I'm guessing it sold.

The Scandia does appear to be UL approved. Would that make a difference on getting a permit?
Thanks,
Catherine

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you wont get a permit because its not EPA approved. All new stove installations need to meet the emissions standards.

Waxman In 1990 the Epa regulations were established for all states to adopt Your western states did adopt then as did CO Here Ma left it up to the indivual town 's Boards of health,
which by now You are the second person than has this knowledge.

I am working with the Styate to adopt them I have the support of the fire marshals and the NFPA, which is based here in MA.

Actually I am working on a stove change out program, along with adopting the EPA regs. Possibly a tax credit or no sales tax.

Working with politics involved nothing moves along this purposal could get attached to any number of other bills..

As it stands a Listed and labled and UL approval is all required for permitting in MA.

Personally I would not put this stove anywhere near living space It was a cheap knock off junk 30 years ago very poor castings
nothing resembling being air tight and now placing a s 30 year old stove of quetional quality in a home or living space I would never do

A risk I 'm not willing to take. For me to permit I would require a full condition report from a reconized chimney sweep before I would issue a permit.

I would require the same for any 30 year old stove. By law and code it meets the requirements that if deemed safe to use I would reluctantly release the permit because I bound to.

Insurance might not be realy happy with 30 year smoke dragons being put back in service. Hell If keyman does not pick up the fisher Baby bear stove here, you can have it atleast it will not blow apart form the first over firing. Would be a hell of a lot safer to use and its free

Elk,
As always, thanks for the input.

Is this the stove you are thinking of? I think he wants to sell it. Do you know how much he wants and where he's located?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.