Scandtec solo plus 40 vs wood gun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipe76

May 18, 2011
eastern ct
Torn between the scandtec solo plus 40 and wood gun E 140. I've heard of some creosote issues with the wood gun,and have seen an older solo plus in action and the owner loved it, any thoughts?

Thanks, need to make a decision soon

I had an E 140. If it was the only wood-burning appliance available, I'd stay with oil.

I love the way the gun is put together, but my friend has the solo 40 and swears by it. Actually got to see it run, and it was impressive and seemed pretty easy..

Thanks for the response any help is so appreciated!!

I looked at an E140 stainless WG when it was burning. The owner was loading in wood that was seasoned 1 or 2 days. WG advertised it would burn up to 40 percent MC wood & I would expect some creosote with using this way. I think the WG is a quality boiler built like a tank, it doesn't have fancy controls though. Most everything is off the shelf & this isn't all bad at 10 below when you need heat. Me personally, I would either buy a rugged simple boiler like a WG or a sophisticated Lambda boiler like the Froling or Effecta etc. I see the the Scantec as a fine boiler, just not rugged as a WG or high tech. Before you spend a lot of money you might want to check the Lambda boilers too, Randy

Been running the E-100 for 2 seasons now. First year most of the wood was not properly seasoned and had more creosote during chimney cleaning than would have liked to see. I don't buy into any marketing statement of being able to burn any wood with high MC effectively!
Have not yet cleaned after this season(still burning for DHW) but I am expecting much better results as the wood is well seasoned now. The firebox does have creosote build up just by the nature of the design but doesn't seem to affect performance and will burn during a hot fire. The other place I noticed some build up is in the air intake tube, but again has not affected performance and as long as it is well sealed to the boiler the actual creosote is contained in the tube and can be pushed into the firebox where it is eventually burned.
I had expected to install thermal storage but doubt that I will as I cannot justify my cost to install as I have zero plumbing experience and about the only time I miss it is in the "shoulder" season.
As stated, WG is rugged and fairly simple in it's operation/build as compared to some other boilers. I have no first hand experience with the solo but have read many good things about them. Seems there are a lot of good boilers out there these days to choose from.

I agree with you, it makes the decision that much harder, but thanks to folks like yourself I have been able to do tons of research here and am almost ready to pull the trigger on the solo 40. No storage for now but will be researching the site for storage idea's. Thanks for the replys, they have been very helpful!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.