Scars are cool, right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Straight up- let me have it. (I hi-jacked the wife's laptop to post this) I'm literally tripping over welding gloves, yet I loaded the stove barehanded . CAT was almost to the "inactive" mark, so opened up the by-pass for awhile and got ready to load. Alas, some of last years wood is rather lengthy, but it still fits- so shorties went on the bottom N/S, and the longer ones go E/W on top. Since the CAT wasn't quite dead yet, I tried to hurry up. The last two E/W splits were good sized, and after fitting the second one in only then did I start to notice-" Why do my wrists hurt?" Yup, I wedged in the last split and my wrists made contact with the CAT housing. 2nd degree burns on both wrists, about the size of a large nickel. Skin sloughed right off( good thing, hurt less). Lesson re-learned, so feel free to hammer it home. (Even though I'm nothing more than a scared kitten, with really big , blue eyes)- ;-)

Lap top is almost dead, so I'll check in for the suggestions (abuse & fun) tomorrow morning- thanks! %-P :coolgrin:

Beetle-Kill said:
Straight up- let me have it. (I hi-jacked the wife's laptop to post this) I'm literally tripping over welding gloves, yet I loaded the stove barehanded . CAT was almost to the "inactive" mark, so opened up the by-pass for awhile and got ready to load. Alas, some of last years wood is rather lengthy, but it still fits- so shorties went on the bottom N/S, and the longer ones go E/W on top. Since the CAT wasn't quite dead yet, I tried to hurry up. The last two E/W splits were good sized, and after fitting the second one in only then did I start to notice-" Why do my wrists hurt?" Yup, I wedged in the last split and my wrists made contact with the CAT housing. 2nd degree burns on both wrists, about the size of a large nickel. Skin sloughed right off( good thing, hurt less). Lesson re-learned, so feel free to hammer it home. (Even though I'm nothing more than a scared kitten, with really big , blue eyes)- ;-)

Very good Grasshopper, your training is almost complete.

For your final task you will lift the glowing combuster from your stove with your bare forearms, and carry it outdoors. There you will sooth your burns in the virgin snow, and your honeycomb scars will forever identify you as a monk of the sacred Blaze King order.

Welcome to the club, my friend! Lesson learned. We all (me included) have some scars to prove our graduation into the professional world of burning wood!

-Soupy1957

Lol, George. I can still see Kwai Chang collapsing into the snow. That's a good one.

After nearly 20 yrs. with the Fireview I have yet to brand myself (and they say man is the tool user). Careful, Beetle-Kill!

Been burning wood all my life and never have used gloves.

Been burning wood nearly all my life and I have one scar to prove it.

Had gloves on, loading the stove, used forarm to nudge the door open a bit more...didnt feel it at first, all I heard was a sizzle...ouch

I have gloves handy and have done the same damn thing. Sometimes common scense aint so common...

yea, i have mine on my forearms where i hit the top lip of the stove when filling the box. I even used fireplace/stove gloves, just came above the cuffs of them. It only hurts for a little while (lol).
...george, loved the post ref Blaze King Order.

cass

One can also get a burn on one's forehead if the door is not sufficiently open. :)

velvetfoot said:
One can also get a burn on one's forehead if the door is not sufficiently open. :)

I don't mean to laugh but.... BWahahaha you just made my morning. I pictured this in my mind. Ouch but Bwhahaha.

Think Freddy has a woodstove?

Attachments

• freddy_krueger_old.jpg
    freddy_krueger_old.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 544
Beetle-Kill said:

I have never burnt myself, cuz I always wear gloves. So, I could say "I feel your pain", but I would be lying.

LOL I always saw it as a right of passage. I don't feel I am truly a wood heat person without at least one line on my forearm from the old fisher door opening each year....

Speaking of which I need to be careful I am almost all healed up....

Funny, I did nearly the same thing that same day, my right wrist made contact with a burn tube while loading the Quad. Just a surface burn, it looks nastier than it feels. Wear it proudly! :)

I will never forget my Avalon Olympic because I'll probably always have a scar from barely touched the top of the opening several times with my right forearm while trying to get a log way, way back in the stove. Hit the same spot three times in one winter, usually at 4:30 a.m. Wakes you right up, that much is for sure...

Haven't burned myself once with a little over a year with my BK. Now that I wrote that, I'm sure I'll burn myself here soon.

I can't wear gloves. I'd rather burn myself once in a while than deal with gloves twice a day...

I wear gloves all the time but a couple months ago I tried adjusting a shortie all the way in back and burnt my forearm right above the glove. Yes, it left a scar.

You know, in February of this year when I first started burning, gloves where bought within 4 days of owning the stove. Those first four days were murder on my left arm (side loading my Oslo). Used the gloves religiously after suffering about 6 burns in those first 4 days.

For some reason, this season, I'm not using gloves and (so far) no burns.

Old dogs 'can' learn, I guess - or - the 'big burn' is just around the corner. :)

(Mumbling to herself: "Now where did those grandkids put my gloves this time?"......)

Shari

Got a couple nicks here somewhere, wait a minute......nope, that wasn't from the stove. OOh, found 'em.
Burned my right hand very badly a few years ago in a hot oil event , skin looked like ripples in water. Ever since, I've been VEWY careful, and still manage to get a little burn every once in a while.
Pokers are for adjusting splits in the back of the stove, not my hand, even with gloves on. YMWV
I do have a pretty cool scar from the surgery to fix a broken forearm a couple years ago. My son says it looks badazz.
I told him it didn't make me feel that way! :lol: That crap hurt a little.

I haven't had a burn since I was a kid riding my dirt bike with shorts and my leg got burned on the muffler.

If I am just tossing a split in, I don't wear the gloves. But when I am puzzling in a full box for an over night burn, I wear the welders gloves that go to my elbow.

I make my wife wear them too. She is always catching a burn on the oven too.

I got a few on the forearm also.

Let's all meet at Mount Wannahaukalugee for the right of passage ceremony. There we shall pass through the ring of FIRE!

I just told my wife (who uses my gloves as oven mitts) I'm going shopping for a new pair since the ones I've got now seem to let more heat through than I would like. I've been known to grab a fully engulfed log to readjust a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.