Scary sight!!??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Just drove by a house that had an enclosed stovepipe in use. There was a cinder screen in the cap. Inside the screen, I am certain I could see flames licking upward, somewhat radomly. Is that a normal occurence? I have read here that some have intentional and routine chimney fires as a method of cleaning. Hmmmmmm??

If you saw flames they have a problem - chimney fire, and likely are not aware of it. I did have at one time( 20years ago) a very nice looking fireplace ( prefab, no idea of age or make) with a 20 ft. stack, 13" internal dia. The only time I could get any heat from that unit was if I had flames out the top of the stack, not a good practice, discovered by chance, no harm done. Also created a small hurricane of cold air being sucked into it across the floor of the room ( along with 1/2 the heat in the house) Installed a insert shortly there after which resolved some of the problem but really did nothing to prevent the cold air flow. ( negative pressure in the house when in use). There was not any decent way to install a oak system nor was the cheapo insert designed to have one.

Flames showing out of a chimney is never a good sign . . . time to knock on the door and/or call 911.

I will never forget one night, quite late when I saw a chimney fire. Lights were on in the house so I quickly ran to the house to let them know. The fellow could not have been less interested and just said, "Okay." I left but did go back to check and the house was still standing.... Sad thing to see when people don't care.

Backwoods Savage said:
I will never forget one night, quite late when I saw a chimney fire. Lights were on in the house so I quickly ran to the house to let them know. The fellow could not have been less interested and just said, "Okay." I left but did go back to check and the house was still standing.... Sad thing to see when people don't care.

That's unbelievable! I would have been out there in a flash, even in my bare feet and skivvies.

well... back in my army days, we figured no Yukon stove was running right if it didn't have a flame out the pipe as long as one section of pipe.. 25%-75% mogas to diesel mix will do it just about right..

I guess that's why they hardly ever let tankers stay in tents. 8-/

That flaming cap is sometimes caused by leaving the stove door cracked too long.The draft is so strong small burning embers get sucked up the chimney.If there is no screen these embers can fall on the roof and cause a problem if roof is bare.Manufactures warn not to leave the stove unattended when door is cracked.I would have knock on the door and informed the folks of the danger.At least they could turn the air down as far as possible and watch the fire from outside until it went out.Of course I learned this from experience.

Went to a chimney fire a few years ago that was called in by a passer-by. It was about 8pm and lights and TV were on. Nobody answered the door, so they were a little pissed off when we let ourselves in. "Um, yer house is on fire, you might want to go outside."
It was a stainless chimney up the outside and thru the soffit. It had extended a bit into the attic, but didn't cause too much damage. Prolly a good thing it wasn't 2am, not a lot of traffic that time of night.

mywaynow said:
Just drove by a house that had an enclosed stovepipe in use. There was a cinder screen in the cap. Inside the screen, I am certain I could see flames licking upward, somewhat radomly. Is that a normal occurence? I have read here that some have intentional and routine chimney fires as a method of cleaning. Hmmmmmm??

You shouldnt drive and type , dangerous

jeff_t said:
Went to a chimney fire a few years ago that was called in by a passer-by. It was about 8pm and lights and TV were on. Nobody answered the door, so they were a little pissed off when we let ourselves in. "Um, yer house is on fire, you might want to go outside."
It was a stainless chimney up the outside and thru the soffit. It had extended a bit into the attic, but didn't cause too much damage. Prolly a good thing it wasn't 2am, not a lot of traffic that time of night.

HehHeh . . . might as well share this nugget that happened just a few weeks ago.

Apartment fire was called in . . . crews responded and learned that not all of the apartments were vacant.

Two guys went up to an apartment and found it locked . . . knocked . . . no response . . . so they made a forcible entry.

Entered the apartment and found a guy and a gal there in bed . . . naked . . . not doing anything . . . awake . . . but just lying there naked in bed . . . despite all of the building's smoke detectors sounding, light smoke visible and not to mention the sound of the crackling fire, fire engines arriving with the sirens and the general noise associated with a full-blown structure fire.

One of the firefighters politely told the tenants they had to leave since there was a fire in the building to which the guy responded by saying he needed his knee brace and it was in the living room and so the two firefighters told the guy they would find it while he and his gal pal got dressed. They found the knee brace after a few minutes of searching and went back to the bedroom . . . only to find the two still lying in bed and still not dressed.

At this point one of the usually very polite and reserved firefighters turned to his partner and actually said something to the effect of "OK, I think I have been reasonable and nice, now I'm going to be a little more blunt" . . . turned back to the couple and told them something along the lines of "Get the f@#$ out of the apartment now!"

HehHeh . . . for some reason I think of Darwin and evolution when I hear of these types of tales.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jake, they say it takes all kinds..... Makes you wonder just what they were doing prior to this.....like maybe smoking some funny weed or sniffing something other than..... Well, that is enough information.

firefighterjake said:
Entered the apartment and found a guy and a gal there in bed . . . naked . . . not doing anything . . . awake . . . but just lying there naked in bed .

Maybe they just enjoy lying around smoking after sex?

Battenkiller said:
firefighterjake said:
Entered the apartment and found a guy and a gal there in bed . . . naked . . . not doing anything . . . awake . . . but just lying there naked in bed .

Ba doom Chish! Nice!

Probably very high.

Battenkiller said:
firefighterjake said:

hahahaha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.