Scenic picture thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
From the back of my house

9faaa1864894f3cc34e30158046dd091.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is indeed. We didn't get down your way to see the Christmas Parade this year... that's been a tradition.. ;em
i love your part of the state... i have a lot of fond memories of skiing in the collegiate peaks.

Reactions: lakeroadster
Here's out my living room window this morning. Of note, the big blooms of vapour in the pick are from a pellet plant. Pinnacle pellets new plant in Lavington, BC.

IMG_1212.JPG

Nice view!

Here's out my living room window this morning. Of note, the big blooms of vapour in the pick are from a pellet plant. Pinnacle pellets new plant in Lavington, BC....

So when are you switching to pellets?;lol;lol

Ha. Not anytime soon I think. But I still think the factory is kind of cool. I've lived in this valley my whole life and in my lifetime it's gone from endless beehive mill burners burning off all the mills waste constantly to now a high tech new pellet plant. Pretty awesome.

Ha. Not anytime soon I think. But I still think the factory is kind of cool. I've lived in this valley my whole life and in my lifetime it's gone from endless beehive mill burners burning off all the mills waste constantly to now a high tech new pellet plant. Pretty awesome.
It is pretty awesome... Did the mill burners produce another form of energy? Burned in a boiler to provide heat or as part of a co-gen that produced electricity? A local mill had a rather large pile of shavings and saw dust that they just sold for horse bedding. Talked to the manager about 4 or 5 years ago to see if they had explored a pellet option ... they weren't too interested at the time. May be hauling their waste to the pellet mill in Atikokan now...

For decades and decades the beehive burners just burned off all the mill slag just to get rid of it. The only thing they produced was ashes and pollution.

Now there's this pellet plant here. And a co-gen plant about an hr away.

Where I live there's still a half dozen or so really big sawmill and plywood plants nearby. When I was growing up there was probably double that at least.

All it takes is someone to look at the situation from a slightly different viewpoint and good things can happen!

I remember as a kid(I'm only42) there being ash all over the white snow constantly. We lived on the 'hill' above town which was still right in the village and you could watch the beehive burners glowing out of our living room window. I grew up in Lumby BC which at that time had 3-5 active sawmills within its village limits. And big ones Weyerhaeuser, crown zellerbach, companies like these. Massive wood exporters.

Think I'd rather have ash particulate rather than dealing with the emissions from oil refineries, tire plant, etc that were near where I lived. Had to drive by daily to get to work.

When I moved to fairly remote Northwestern Ontario, figured most of the nasty emissions were left down east. Pulp and paper mills are just as nasty:(

Ugh. I bet. Industry doesn't come without its costs that's for sure.

Winter evening shot from last night
View attachment 192075

I still look forward most eagerly to your spring flower pics every year . . . since you tend to post these when all is still white, gray and brown here in Maine . . . it's always nice to see the splash of color.

I still look forward most eagerly to your spring flower pics every year . . . since you tend to post these when all is still white, gray and brown here in Maine . . . it's always nice to see the splash of color.
Thanks. We've planted the yard for winter color too.
winter-colors.jpg

Palouse Falls in eastern WA last week. Look closely and see if you can spot the photographer. (Hint he is tiny in this picture)

palouse falls.jpg

It is very much winter here. Here's my 'rustic' barn.

IMG_1231.JPG

Nice view to wake up to when there's a warm fire heating the house.

Yah I like that old barn but I think it's days are numbered. I'm thinking I should take it down before it falls down. We have two miniature(Mediterranean)donkeys that use it for shelter. They are my wife's. I'm more into horses myself.
We definetly enjoy the views from our home, but I prefer the summertime version honestly.

IMG_0479.JPG

Here's what mini asses look like, in case anyone was wondering. They are hard to dislike, but I do my best orrr worst to cut them no slack.

IMG_1044.JPG