SCF-050 control problem - runaway auger!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbulator

Dec 2, 2011
Western PA
Started up this year, fresh bag of pellets, cleaned her all out and new rope gaskets freshly installed on the doors... I noticed a TON of moisture must have gotten inside the furnace over the summer - probably condensation from my AC unit since the ducts are connected, even though it was plugged...
So, it was a bit flaky inside on the baffle plate and some surface rust...but all in all ok.

Issue - Fired it up, auger just continues to feed away....no matter what I do, auger is on. Sometimes the control is dimly lit, sometimes it wont shut off!! It appears to be pretty dangerous - I thought I was going to have an issue because it wouldn't stop feeding the fire and I didnt want to pull the plug because my house would fill w/ smoke.

I am assuming that it isnt the proof of fire sensor being faulty as if its contacts don't close the control should time out and shut the auger down....which isn't the case.

I think its obvious that the control is prob corroded or damaged from moisture. It appears that the contacts are solid state, so I can't really service it myself.

Fix - do I get it repaired (is this possible) or just fork out $200 for a new one?

Seems to be burning nice and clean which is a far cry from some of the issues I had last year - I think I had some really bad door seal.

Thanks!

Its burning clean and the auger is spinning non stop?

Can you look in the back to verify this? (At the actual auger shaft or motor)?

I should have clarified.... the new rope gaskets helped a ton... It would be burning awesome if the stupid auger wasn't stuck on....

Status
Not open for further replies.