Score 090!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stihltheone

Nov 21, 2009
Wyoming
I scored an 090 today!! cosmeticly a bit shakey, but easy to fix. It came out of a pawn shop, as a parts only deal. I checked it out and all was well, a quick prep and 3 pulls it was a running perfect!! YEAH!! It only has a 46" on it, but it will do. Likely it is not even as much horse as my 660, but damn it is cool!!

Oh its more horse power than your 660 and an awesome milling saw!

southbound said:
Ok ok like they told me it's not a score unless you tell how much it was....

+1 + pic's or it never happened!

stihltheone said:
Likely it is not even as much horse as my 660

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...237d3cf671cb8be188256ba200184712?OpenDocument

Holy Moly! 137cc, 13 HP. Supposedly the most powerful one-man saw built. I notice it calls for a 20:1 mix ratio. Also, it has a manual oil assist in addition to the automatic oiler. Looks to be in a pretty awkward position to me (on the right hand side), so you have to let go of the front handle to add more oil. No chain brake on that bad boy, either. Yikes! But I'll bet SJ's right about the saw for milling, looks like it's got torque up the wazoo. I wonder how this machine would take to hot rodding? ;-)

Battenkiller said:
stihltheone said:
Likely it is not even as much horse as my 660

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...237d3cf671cb8be188256ba200184712?OpenDocument

Holy Moly! 137cc, 13 HP. Supposedly the most powerful one-man saw built. I notice it calls for a 20:1 mix ratio. Also, it has a manual oil assist in addition to the automatic oiler. Looks to be in a pretty awkward position to me (on the right hand side), so you have to let go of the front handle to add more oil. No chain brake on that bad boy, either. Yikes! But I'll bet SJ's right about the saw for milling, looks like it's got torque up the wazoo. I wonder how this machine would take to hot rodding? ;-)

Hot Rod Take the Governor off and thats about it. Chain brakes no big deal with this saw its only going to be needed on the monsters or milling.

In my hardcover book Chainsaw Milling by Will Maloff,he uses a 090 exclusively.Book was printed in 1982,has been out of print for over 20 yrs.I was lucky to find a new copy on the clearance table for 1/2 price at local Woodsmith store in 1993.Is chock-full of all kinds of attachments,jigs,over a hundred photos,hints & things you can build for your Granberg Alaskan Mill to make your work an easier & more enjoyable experience.Good luck finding the book now however,they are quite scarce & used book sellers are charging a premium when they do show up for sale.Would love to find a decent 090 myself someday,they can bring fairly high prices on Ebay & elsewhere I noticed.

Thistle said:
In my hardcover book Chainsaw Milling by Will Maloff,he uses a 090 exclusively.Book was printed in 1982,has been out of print for over 20 yrs.I was lucky to find a new copy on the clearance table for 1/2 price at local Woodsmith store in 1993.Is chock-full of all kinds of attachments,jigs,over a hundred photos,hints & things you can build for your Granberg Alaskan Mill to make your work an easier & more enjoyable experience.Good luck finding the book now however,they are quite scarce & used book sellers are charging a premium when they do show up for sale.Would love to find a decent 090 myself someday,they can bring fairly high prices on Ebay & elsewhere I noticed.

I Know where to get them....

lol the book or the saw? If its the saw,I'll probably drop you a note one of these days.

Thistle said:
lol the book or the saw? If its the saw,I'll probably drop you a note one of these days.

lol book

I agree. Tune that thing up and it will be a monster for sure. Like Lee says, eat your Wheaties. Just imagine toting that thing around for 8-10 hours per day. Just imagine notching the tree and then felling it. Yup. Eat your Wheaties. That is a job for the younger generation.

Hey, I'll bet that would be good for some of that Wyoming cottonwood.

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree. Tune that thing up and it will be a monster for sure. Like Lee says, eat your Wheaties. Just imagine toting that thing around for 8-10 hours per day. Just imagine notching the tree and then felling it. Yup. Eat your Wheaties. That is a job for the younger generation.

The one in the video not his saw..... But even running fat that thing would be fun for bucking and milling not much else..lol

The 090 STIHL is an older generation saw. I'm sayin that the older saws ran like that, lower RPM, kinda chunky sounding. If the one in the video is not runing right it is not far off... The 056 magnum my friend has runs the same way. They do not rev out like the saws we run today.

Nice score! I wouldnt use it for anything but milling, just seems too slow and ridiculous heavy for bucking, but thats just me. Very cool though!

mrfjsf said:
Nice score! I wouldnt use it for anything but milling, just seems too slow and ridiculous heavy for bucking, but thats just me. Very cool though!

lol its known to be the very finnest milling saw....Nothing cooler than using a big cc saw to buck up a 60+ in tree. (Your not carry it other than 16-20 inchs)

southbound said:
Stick a 60 inch bar on there and limb all day.....No more bending over lol................

lol, I Would Love to own one

southbound said:
You are better off with the 880...................

Yes, but would still love to have one.....the av are hard to find lol

Backwoods Savage said:

That is what I got him for!! Still wish that it had a longer bar, only 42", I would like about a 50 or so. Saw runs perfect, gotta get a chain cover and new chain, although I would like to conver to .375, I will just order a 125 dl .404 and be content. The compression is a tad low, 110-115 psi but I will get by like that for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.