Score free wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Thank you craigslist! I picked this up after work. Looks like a half a cord of red oak! I pulled a couple pieces out of the truck and split one open. It's green, but it's nice oak! (correct me if I'm wrong) My poor truck was almost doing a wheelie on the way home.

I'm arranging a grapple load in the next few weeks. That I have to pay for though.

Attachments

• 100_2531.JPG
    100_2531.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 455
Nice score! Hope you didn't have to drive far, that looks hard on wheel bearings.

-SF

I'm not so sure that's oak, may be hemlock, but whatever it is, a load like that for free is a beautiful thing. If it's oak, it should smell distinctively (some would say overpoweringly) acidic. If it's hemlock it will smell aromatic, really nice. Oak is really stringy when you split it, hemlock cleaner splits , not really stringy at all though you may hit some buried knots here or there.

Nice load of wood. Always fun to find some free stuff. :)

Nice score. Around here on Craigslist there is alswys free wood to get. The oak you have to be quick. Now, get that wood split and stacked so it will season. Then have a cold one.

Looks like cherry to me too. But I've seen oak with a reddish center, too. I tell by the smell.
Where's the rest of it ?

Don't bust a shock trying to carry it all.

Definitely does not look like red oak to me. Doesn't look like cherry either. Would need better pictures to identify. Nice load of wood though.

Status
Not open for further replies.