Scored some Micore 300 for my hearth build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sksmass

Dec 21, 2009
Western MA
Check out my two full sheets of 3/4" Micore 300! $45 per sheet. This stuff was hard to find. Neither of of my local lumberyards carried it (and they cater to professional contractors). Neither yard wanted to order it for me because they didn't think there would be a market for a full pallet. Anyway, I had to drive an hour away, but I went directly to the wholesale supplier, Atlantic Plywood.
http://www.atlanticplywood.com/company.asp?

I explained to the nice guy at the front desk that there was a lot of pent-up demand among woodburners for Micore sheets but that most sales would just be a few sheets here and there. He seemed interested that there was likely a demand out there and dismayed that the lumberyards were giving me static about ordering the product.

He'd prefer not to take the business from his customers (the lumberyards) so he'd rather not sell direct to individuals. That being said, if people are having a really hard time finding Micore and really need it, call AP and ask them where the nearest yard is to you that carries their product. AP supplies yards from Virginia to Maine so they may be able to direct you towards one of their customers who stocks Micore.

Worst case, if there is no yard that carries Micore near you, you might be able to convince one of their distribution centers to sell you just a few sheets. Just be polite because this stuff is hard to find!

Attachments

• micore300.jpg
    micore300.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,604
Did you pick this up yourself from the Atlantic Plywood in the Capital District of NY? I am in the same boat, with my local lumberyard telling me the AP has it and I should just drive down there and get it myself. I live near Lake George, so just about an hour drive for me.

I thought it may be a pain to deal with a distribution warehouse instead of a dealer. If this is the same place, then I am glad to hear it went well for you. How heavy are those sheets?

Thanks for the info.

Yes, the distribution center in Guilderland. I got the distinct impression that they'd rather refer me to a dealer. So your first move is to call them and ask if they can point you to a yard that stocks it in your area. If not, then ask if you can bop down there and buy a few sheets direct.

The Micore is not that heavy -- much lighter than same-sized drywall. You can grip it with two hands on the top edge and carry it. But it definitely feels more brittle than drywall; like it might break if you put too much tensile stress on it. It makes me nervous to move around because I might break it or ding a corner. Imagine something in between the density of styrofoam and drywall. It has no paper backing. It also feels kind of chalky. Also, don't pick it up if it is raining. Looks like it would suck water like a sponge.

I got mine from Kamco Building Supply a few years ago, about $25. They have lots of outlets in the NE, I believe. Friendly guys, too.

Stuff is light as a feather.

sksmass said:
The Micore is not that heavy -- much lighter than same-sized drywall. You can grip it with two hands on the top edge and carry it. But it definitely feels more brittle than drywall; like it might break if you put too much tensile stress on it. It makes me nervous to move around because I might break it or ding a corner. Imagine something in between the density of styrofoam and drywall. It has no paper backing. It also feels kind of chalky. Also, don't pick it up if it is raining. Looks like it would suck water like a sponge.

That's correct, this is insulation board, not a tile substrate. The top layer of the hearth sandwich should be Wonderboard cement board for the tile-backer.

BarkEater said:
Did you pick this up yourself from the Atlantic Plywood in the Capital District of NY? I am in the same boat, with my local lumberyard telling me the AP has it and I should just drive down there and get it myself. I live near Lake George, so just about an hour drive for me.

I thought it may be a pain to deal with a distribution warehouse instead of a dealer. If this is the same place, then I am glad to hear it went well for you. How heavy are those sheets?

Thanks for the info.

Curtis Lumber got it for me.

Matt

I will start at Curtis. They are about 3 miles from me and then go from there. I am making a surround to kind of look like a fireplace, but with an Oslo sitting on the hearth instead. The house is log, so it will go log-Micore-Durock(old type)-scratch coat-stone veneer.

I just got the stone today and cant wait to start.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.