1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

scrap wood- not bad

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Adios Pantalones, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I need about 2 cord of mixed wood to fire the kiln for 24 hours, but having not thought ahead enough- and having a good winter- I needed to order some. Mill scrap is a typical source for kiln wood- I found a place that delivers about a cord of banded pine scrap for $50 (a little more than they normally charge because it's a couple towns away). I got 4 bundles (cord).

I threw the guys an extra $20 for lunch and gave them a jug that I made- I told them I know to keep folks like them on my good side because I might be relying on them.

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    Shoot - wish I could find a deal like that around here. Would be nice stuff to have around for burning here and there. I might just have to pop into the next mill I see and not assume it is closed down...
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    That should work very well for you. I agree. Make friends with that group! You done well.
  4. btj1031

btj1031 New Member

Loc:
    NH
    Nice job. Can you just toss those pieces in the kiln or do you have to chop them down? You firing it up before the warm weather hits?
  5. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
  6. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Can't wait to see the next batch of items from that firing. A really cool procedure that I have had zero introduction to, until AP started yappin about it a while back. Neat stuff for sure.

Looks like ya got some good ash makin' firewood there, AP.
  7. Creek-Chub

Creek-Chub New Member

Loc:
    Niles, MI
    Looks like what I've been burning for the better part of the winter. Bought 10 of them from an Amish carpenter - mostly oak, walnut, and maple with a little cherry. They were $10 a bundle, but between fuel and time I ended up with closer to $35 each. Like you mentioned, it is a pain to buck up. One piece will go from veneer thin to big chunks. I ended up building a sort of cradle to process it, but it's still a bit of a pain. And my stove takes lengths a mite smaller than 40 inches... :lol:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.