Scratch build log splitter, beginnings and suggestions!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask away - I have a few splitter builds under my belt.​
Thanks Jags, Yes it's a 5hp, 3/4 straight shaft. I looked at the husky at TSC, they had the exact motor on the 22 and the 27 ton spillters. I initially looked at an older 7hp honda, it ran_g,looked pretty rough, and the guy wanted $150 so I passed. With what I have, what would be your suggestions please==c Thanks!

With what I have, what would be your suggestions please==c Thanks!

You are limited to a 11gpm pump with that engine. 11 gmp on a 3.5" cylinder will be okay. On a 4" it will be slow (probably around 18 sec cycle time).

You are limited to a 11gpm pump with that engine. 11 gmp on a 3.5" cylinder will be okay. On a 4" it will be slow (probably around 18 sec cycle time).​
Thanks! I'll start doing the search on parts!, Thanks also for the heads up on the wedge wings, I did think of that, they are only 3/16", If I crush them I'm just gonna burn them off>>.... I thought it may have been a good idea, but after I welded them on, I thought it was "really" not needed;).

I did think of that, they are only 3/16"

I saw that, hence the suggestion. Even a hunk of bar stock welded in the middle of the spread would help a whole bunch. I like my wedge - it is very efficient at splitting open the tough ones.
100_1548.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
If you have any more of that plate you made your wedge from you could cut it on a bias and build your wedge wings from that. They would lay up nice and allow for a 100% pass on the back side and bottom. Could also add some support up top to finish?? Just an idea. I really like the way they help with tough splits and also pop the easy ones quicker so you do not need to go full stroke.

Scotty - I have not been forging much this summer. Busy with my day job and building a dual axle trailer for wood and ORV hauling. All the steel work is done but it needs sand blast, paint and deck before I take pics.

also sweet splitter Jags!!

Thanks. It was designed for dealing with the big stuff. All but unstoppable and I don't have to worry how I put the log in or read the grain. Set it on the beam and pull the handle.

Jags, I found a few places on the web dealing with splitter parts and pumps, etc..... do you have a preferance or favorite to deal with?

Northern tool is a good one stop shop. There are also several hydraulic warehouse type places. Shop around but at the end of the day Northern will probably be within a couple of bean pods of the rest.

Northern tool is a good one stop shop.​
Yea, I figured as much, I didn't know if there was a super secret place only loggers and arborists go!
I'm just a home owner, I was cringing at the thought of spending $1500 + for a splitter. But then I thought of the month's I layed in pain with my back "SCREWED" up, hence this project:cool:

Fleebay is also a good spot to look for pumps and valves. Good prices, just watch shipping.

Nice splitter! You going to add a tray to the sides or maybe one side? That's a nice feature for splitting on a horizontal splitter.
Swagler, I was scrounging around today at work, got thinking of bending over 1000 times in a hour or two, so I think were gonna see a catch tray, and possibly Jags style lift mechanisum;) It'll look like something from a transformer movie!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.