Scrounge at Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bob95065

Burning Hunk
Aug 13, 2013
Felton, CA
So we bought a beat-up house July 2013. I have been busy cleaning up the neglected 2-acre lot ever since.

We had a decent storm the last couple days and I was anticipating the power going out. Last night at about 1 AM it finally happened.

I left the house at 5 AM to go to work. I found a madrone tree fell out of our lot onto the power lines. The power lines were completely severed, the pole was at a 45° angle and the tree waas held in the air by the cavle lines and our road water pump house.

It took PG&E 14 hours to straighten the pole, fix the lines and get the power back on. I wound up with over a cord of madrone. The trunk is about 20" at the ground.

The tree barber--chaired from the dirt about 10' up. Davey Tree responded with PG&E. They used the PG&E crane to lift the trunk after cutting the branches. It should burn well in 2016 when I'll get to it in the woodshed.

20141203_072924_zpsad9d61a7.jpeg

Grab a leaf and a split to post for posterity. We dont see much of it posted on here.
I heard California needed that rainstorm. Looks pretty there.

It's hard to "like" that post since it caused so much trouble, but hopefully every cloud has a silver lining, and some evening in the future you'll look at that glowing stove glass and recall...

Grab a leaf and a split to post for posterity. We dont see much of it posted on here.
I heard California needed that rainstorm. Looks pretty there.

It's going to be a little bit. We have more rain foretasted and the neighbor across the street wants me to pay for the fence the tree hit. I'm meeting with him tomorrow.

It's going to be a little bit. We have more rain foretasted and the neighbor across the street wants me to pay for the fence the tree hit. I'm meeting with him tomorrow.
I don't think your responsible for that fence, at least that's the way it works here in nj....call your insurance agent before you talk to your neighbor.....

I don't think your responsible for that fence, at least that's the way it works here in nj....call your insurance agent before you talk to your neighbor.....

Seconded on that! Also it sounds like the tree fell onto the power lines, no? How did it go from being on the power lines to being on the fence? If

Status
Not open for further replies.