Scrounge I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio woodburner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
NW Ohio
Not sure what it is. Bark sure looks like maple. Seemed to be a hard wood as my 270 was showing its age. 0622121629.jpg 0622121636.jpg

The best I can guess is Black Locust. The leaf looks similar and the bark looks similar to Black Locust, but neither is quite right enough to convince me I am right. A picture of the freshly cut end of a round would help, so would a picture of a twig with leaves. On the other hand, maybe brewmonster is right. If that is the leaf of the tree it is definitely either one of the locusts or some non-native tree. Was this tree a shade tree that somebody planted or was it growing wild?

Locust, not black, maybe honey, could be a hybridized shademaster (landscape) variety if not cut from the woods. Good score.

thanks for the replies! yes that leaf is from the tree. its a fairly old tree in a yard.

Attachments

• 0622122111.jpg
    0622122111.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 174
Looks like the Honey Locust I cut a few weeks ago.

Honey Locust just like the leaves on the HL in our yard. If it didn't have alot of nasty thorns, that's real good. Great firewood but the thorns can puncture tires.

Reactions: Thistle
I scored some honey locust a while back, heavy stuff. One sign that its HL is the salmon color of the wood and yes it does smell like honey when freshly split.
Good score !

That be Honey Locust alright.Great stuff,not just for fuel either.

Attachments

• PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 181
That be Honey Locust alright.Great stuff,not just for fuel either.
That is some beautifully grained wood there. Do you happen to know if it sands/stains/finishes nice?

That is some beautifully grained wood there. Do you happen to know if it sands/stains/finishes nice?

Difficult to work with machine tools because of its density,dulls hand tools such as chisels & plane irons very quickly.But sands & shapes smoothly with very little grain tearout long as tools are sharp,takes very high polish.As a rule I dont stain any of my projects,prefer a clear oil/wax or varnish for the finish,depending on its intended use.Only thing I stained was a White Oak tool chest made from reclaimed barn timbers in 2005 to store some of my antique tools,wanted it to look 150 yrs old the day it was done.

Attachments

• honeylocustfootstool40111.JPG
    honeylocustfootstool40111.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 169
  • honey locust tool chest.jpg
    honey locust tool chest.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 166
  • large honey locust bowl 3.JPG
    large honey locust bowl 3.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 130
Difficult to work with machine tools because of its density,dulls hand tools such as chisels & plane irons very quickly.But sands & shapes smoothly with very little grain tearout long as tools are sharp,takes very high polish.As a rule I dont stain any of my projects,prefer a clear oil/wax or varnish for the finish,depending on its intended use.Only thing I stained was a White Oak tool chest made from reclaimed barn timbers in 2005 to store some of my antique tools,wanted it to look 150 yrs old the day it was done.

We have a lot of reclaimed barn beams and was wondering how you ripped them down?

We have a lot of reclaimed barn beams and was wondering how you ripped them down?

Delta 14"Bandsaw w/ 1 1/2HP motor,riser block,4TPI .035 gauge 3/4" wide Lenox Bi-Metal blade.Can resaw 12" thick if I dont force it.6 -8" is much easier & more common.Sometimes large pieces are roughed out w/ chainsaw first to make things easier.

Reactions: smokinj
Thistle, I think you have a lot more talent than most of us

More than me;). I just cut em down & burn em up. A C

Delta 14"Bandsaw w/ 1 1/2HP motor,riser block,4TPI .035 gauge 3/4" wide Lenox Bi-Metal blade.Can resaw 12" thick if I dont force it.6 -8" is much easier & more common.Sometimes large pieces are roughed out w/ chainsaw first to make things easier.

Thanks, I've been staring at mine for over a year waiting for some inspiration. I am thinking about a farm house table but do not want to mess them up as they came out of my wife's grandpas barn. Sorry for hijacking.

Beautiful projects Thistle. As TimJ said, you have a lot of talent. So that footstool is au natural, no stain?

Beautiful projects Thistle. As TimJ said, you have a lot of talent. So that footstool is au natural, no stain?

Yup all 3 things are.Footstool w/ walnut plugs is a bit darker,its the oldest,close to 20 yrs old now.Most woods will darken a little upon exposure over the years,Black Cherry especially.Black Walnut can turn a bit lighter in strong sunlight however.

Thistle
Beautiful work and i appreciate that you keep the natural colors of the wood intact. I am a teacher in a local high school and the wood shop teacher is a buddy of mine. I am trying to get him to budget a small sawmill to produce lumber from local logs. I believe about 2 grand should get him started. Yes?

Thistle
Beautiful work and i appreciate that you keep the natural colors of the wood intact. I am a teacher in a local high school and the wood shop teacher is a buddy of mine. I am trying to get him to budget a small sawmill to produce lumber from local logs. I believe about 2 grand should get him started. Yes?

Dont know a thing about portable trailer mounted mills like Woodmizer,what little I seen they dont have anything for less than 4 grand,unless I'm mistaken.But the Granberg Alaskan mill 36" size can be ready to go for about 2 grand,give or take a couple hundo.Less if you buy a good used 75-80cc & up saw w/36" bar,instead of new.Not sure if other companies make a chainsaw mill & related accessories now,Granberg is the oldest (since 1961) & most well known by far.Products are being used on every inhabited continent world-wide customers say.

Status
Not open for further replies.