Scrounge Stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toasty-Yote

Dec 13, 2022
New York
IMG_7640.jpeg

Curb scores, deadfall and standing dead along with my “bucking” miter. Cant wait for weather to get colder!

How do you find the miter saw for that? I have found that dulls the blade but have looked at a carbide top one.

View attachment 315313

Curb scores, deadfall and standing dead along with my “bucking” miter. Cant wait for weather to get colder!
Nice, if it was me I'd split most of those rounds even the smaller ones (especially the ones with bark still on) before stacking them. Excellent amount for scrounging!

How do you find the miter saw for that? I have found that dulls the blade but have looked at a carbide top one.
I have a carbide tipped blade and it works great! Be careful though, there is definitely a learning curve when cutting firewood with miter saws. I wear a helmet with a face guard. Learned the hard way not to cut anything under pressure or tension!

Reactions: bigealta
Nice, if it was me I'd split most of those rounds even the smaller ones (especially the ones with bark still on) before stacking them. Excellent amount for scrounging!
Thanks! You’re probably right about splitting but I figured since they were dead standing, they would dry out fairly quickly anyway. I have found that with buckthorn, the wood is so tight and dense that I can take down a standing dead and put it in the insert the same day with no issues.