Standing dead vs split and cured.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
I have been cutting almost exclusively standing dead mulberry for the past several years. It could be my imagination but the standing dead seems to burn better than cut green, split and stacked.
I have several cords that was cut green 5 yrs ago and covered. It dosen't seem to burn as good as the standing dead. If you ever cut standing dead cottonwood there really seems to be a difference.
What say you?

I have been cutting almost exclusively standing dead mulberry for the past several years. It could be my imagination but the standing dead seems to burn better than cut green, split and stacked.
I have several cords that was cut green 5 yrs ago and covered. It dosen't seem to burn as good as the standing dead. If you ever cut standing dead cottonwood there really seems to be a difference.
What say you?
Moisture content is Moisture content doesn't really matter how you get there.

Osage are you testing the moisture content with a moisture meter?
Yes I have checked moisture content. Both are in the teens on fresh splits.
If one looks at the splits of both, the standing dead splits have a smother texture on the split faces.
This could be my imagination on the burn difference.

Standing dead and dried trees without bark makes great firewood. If it’s not wet on the inside and doesn’t need splitting, the rounds burn longer than split wood.

Reactions: Osage
A tree standing dead for several years has to be an ideal way to dry. We cut, split and stack wood in piles. We do our best to get good air flow. But can it be as ideal as a tree standing straight so water can flow off and the entire tree is exposed to full wind and sun (if not in thich forest. I feel like I hit a gold mine when I find a great dead standing tree.

Reactions: Osage