Scrounger's Jackpot - Triple Team

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwoair23

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2011
Ohio
Well today was another great day at the farm I found on craigslist. :cool: We had 5 guys, a Sonoma, a F-150, and a Silverado. All three trucks were loaded up within two hours! I took home a full load of 100% oak again, and my fiancee's uncle took home two loads of 100% cherry. We were the only people there since we went early Saturday morning, so it was great having the woods to ourselves. We had two Stihl 290 Farm Boss saws and a crappy 33cc Poulan as backup.

I didn't get Thursday's pile split yet, so I have two loads (slightly over one cord) to split by my stack now.

We will likely be doing a minimum of one more trip next week, then I have to decide if I want to keep going back after that and maybe sell some. I just about have enough wood for 2012-13 and 2013-14 now. :) Honestly, if I was to make a ballpark estimate of how many trips it would take to get all the really nice pieces of wood there, I would have to say at least 30 more trips, so there is probably at least 15 cords more of wood to cut in those woods. _g We have just been grabbing the easy to get to stuff right now that are right by the trails.

The obligatory pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 159
Go back! :eek:
Go back and get something that seasons a little quicker and put that oak in a nice place to dry for 2015/2016!
My Saturday morning was not nearly as productive...

I am hoping this oak will be OK for sometime after January next year in 2014. The trees have been down for a year, and if I split it now that will give it another 1.5 years to season. I know some will say thats not enough, but I am hopeful it will be OK to go by then. I would let it go longer but space is an issue!

I agree about the trucks, lol. We all could have loaded more, especially the Silverado and Sonoma. I looked at my bump stops and I was one inch from them when I left, and 1/2-3/4" when I got home. Thats close enough for me with my truck. :)

Its pretty darn tempting to just keep going back and back and back. Not sure what I will do, I know I'll go at least once more though for a total of four trips. I know if I don't get more now though, I'll regret it later when I don't have it so readily available!

Looking good......!!........!! Looking like you have a nice little honey hole.

I would definitely get as much as possible. Do you know anyone near you with property that you can store split wood on? With a supply like that, Id be going back often ;)

Looks like a productive Saturday morning.... Is your technique getting better sharpening? ? Have you showed/tried it on any of the other guys saws?

Sweet score. Always love the look of freshly bucked rounds.

I am hoping this oak will be OK for sometime after January next year in 2014. The trees have been down for a year, and if I split it now that will give it another 1.5 years to season. I know some will say thats not enough, but I am hopeful it will be OK to go by then. I would let it go longer but space is an issue!

I agree about the trucks, lol. We all could have loaded more, especially the Silverado and Sonoma. I looked at my bump stops and I was one inch from them when I left, and 1/2-3/4" when I got home. Thats close enough for me with my truck. :)

Its pretty darn tempting to just keep going back and back and back. Not sure what I will do, I know I'll go at least once more though for a total of four trips. I know if I don't get more now though, I'll regret it later when I don't have it so readily available!

Just keep in mind that it does not matter that the trees are down. The wood basically starts to dry AFTER it has been cut to length and split. One problem folks run into is looking at a log and seeing the checks or cracks in the wood and they think that means it is dry. What it actually means is that it has started to dry.....on the ends only.

I wouldn't be worried about getting it split right away, just haul as much wood as possible while its available. Like Kenny Roger's says ... " there'll be time enough for splittin'....when the haulin's done" ..... or something like that ! LOL

jwoair23,nice work on your firewood. Like another poster mention grab some wood that seasons quicker if you can.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
jwoair23,nice work on your firewood. Like another poster mention grab some wood that seasons quicker if you can.

zap

+1
Oak is a great score for sure.
But other hardwoods are great also & most season faster than oak. ;)

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Wow Scotty thats a heck of a load! I think I will take your guys advice and go for some cherry next trip (there is only oak and cherry on this farm, I know I know, what a drag ;) ) I do have about 2-3 cords of other wood (maple, locust, etc) that I can use first for next winter before breaking into this, if I don't save it for the winter after that.

I think I may ask for a moisture meter for Christmas or something, I would love to monitor the progress of this oak and get a better "first hand" experience on how long it takes to dry!

Wow Scotty thats a heck of a load! I think I will take your guys advice and go for some cherry next trip (there is only oak and cherry on this farm, I know I know, what a drag ;) ) I do have about 2-3 cords of other wood (maple, locust, etc) that I can use first for next winter before breaking into this, if I don't save it for the winter after that.

I think I may ask for a moisture meter for Christmas or something, I would love to monitor the progress of this oak and get a better "first hand" experience on how long it takes to dry!
Keep getting that good stuff (oak) but start looking for some shoulder season wood. Silver or red maple, cherry, maybe some spruce, etc. Stuff you can cut up and split now, let dry for a couple months and it will be ready for this winter. Look for some standing dead, barkless trees. They will season quickly if you get them cut and split soon.

Reactions: Thistle
That's a load!
sct trk ld.jpg
"Don't mind the mule, load the wagon" ;)
12" side boards or cargo net would be nice if traveling very far & at speed.
Hate to loose a hard worked for round going down the highway, some scrounger would stop & pick it up :eek:

Keep going back, just stack the rounds in racks or pallets until you have time to split, you should get 3 years ahead, that wood will burn great with all that seasoning. I agree with these other guys, fill those trucks up, they can take another layer no problem, I had my Tacoma filled to the top of the cap, just dont go speeding once its filled up and you'll be ok.

Reactions: Thistle
JW,
strike while the iron is hot
get while the gettins good
feast or famine
the early bird gets the worm
you snooze you lose

I think you get the picture...you know what to do.

Reactions: Realstone
Load it up till it's on the bump stops, that's what they're for. ;) I second the it's time for a trailer comments. I can't imagine taking the time to go cutting and leaving with just a truck load.

If you're out of room it's time to ask a relative or friend if you can season some wood at their place. Scores like this don't come around everyday. :)

That's a load!
View attachment 71415

I've had much worse::-) 3 ton of 1 1/2" river rock & 3 ton of 3" limestone in '89 Chev 3/4 ton 4 x 4 w/ 1 ton springs on it & 10 ply tires on separate trips.Didnt even flatten them down. Current truck is just '98 1/2 ton GMC,much better gas mileage plus no need for hauling big loads now.

Attachments

• PICT0036.JPG
    PICT0036.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 122
That's a load!
View attachment 71415
12" side boards or cargo net would be nice if traveling very far & at speed.
Hate to loose a hard worked for round going down the highway, some scrounger would stop & pick it up :eek:
Dave that job was fairly close to home, that was a silver maple we cut up in May. You should see the trailer when we load it up!

i got mine off ebay for like $9 shipped to the house or something. It did come from Hong kong so it took almost 2 weeks but was not in a hurry and it was like half or 1/3 the price of the HF meeter. Its a fun toy.

Yea keep going back, just pile it somewhere in the yard and get to it later. You would be suprised at how you could put more on ur truck . As they squat the more you load the farther it sits on the overload springs. The same weight will not squat you as fast. What im saying is your first 500lbs will squat the truck more than the last 500lbs. So it may look like another 250lbs with have you on the axle, but just have 3 of those guys stand on the bumper and look at your bump stops, i bet they dont move 1/2 inch. And that would be if you put 600lbs on the bumper, which give the weight more leverage, putting it up towards the cab puts that weight on the front axle as well.

I have a "General" model I bought last year. I have Zero need for it now. Im sure we could work something out if you wanted it Jwoair23?

The end pins are slightly bent, but you will understand when you use it. . .

PM me if you would like it? So we can work out the shipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.