Scrounging gone wrong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
As I was driving home today, I saw a whole pile of rounds left by the utility trimming crew at a neighbor's house. Looked like ash and he was in his driveway, so I stopped to see if I could have it. He said yes, and then I walked over to the pile and saw that it was definitely not ash, a very light wood with a dark heartwood and scarlet streaks running through it. (Sorry, no pics). And, it was mostly all cut to lengths that are going to make it a pain to stack. But, I figured I was already committed so i took it but now have over a half cord of wood I don't want. Oy vey.

wendell said:
As I was driving home today, I saw a whole pile of rounds left by the utility trimming crew at a neighbor's house. Looked like ash and he was in his driveway, so I stopped to see if I could have it. He said yes, and then I walked over to the pile and saw that it was definitely not ash, a very light wood with a dark heartwood and scarlet streaks running through it. (Sorry, no pics). And, it was mostly all cut to lengths that are going to make it a pain to stack. But, I figured I was already committed so i took it but now have over a half cord of wood I don't want. Oy vey.

Can you use it for kindling?

zap

wendell said:

Luckily my dad will burn anything so he gets all of my eff ups and is more than glad for it.

I've got years worth of kindling so I tried to split it up to make up my end stacks for 2013/14 and 14/15 and some was short enough to go in the Morso pile. It will end up OK, just wishing it would've been ash!

Bigg_Redd said:
Luckily my dad will burn anything so he gets all of my eff ups and is more than glad for it.

Good to see you back! Missed you this summer.

when you say it's a very "light wood" do you mean in color or in weight? Hickory is a light (colored) wood with a dark heartwood, BUT it certainly isn't light (weight)

Light in color, basically white. I'm assuming some type of poplar

The red streaks and bark that made you think it was Ash sounds like it could be Box Elder. Box Elder is a type of maple, but on the light end of the scale.

Wood Duck said:
The red streaks and bark that made you think it was Ash sounds like it could be Box Elder. Box Elder is a type of maple, but on the light end of the scale.

I agree-- boxelder.

It's not difficult to mistake some boxelder bark for ash. Here's some that I cut a couple years ago:

boxelder_fresh1.gif

I agree the bark on box elder looks similar to ash and the red streak gives it away, not anywhere near as nice as ash but will burn hot and works ok mixed with other woods or during spring and fall .

I bet if you put an ad on Craigslist it will be gone by the end of the day.

Its box elder. I burned some that was on my property. I agree that I would not go get it but it burns ok. Of course if you had no wood then grab what you can...

SolarAndWood said:
I bet if you put an ad on Craigslist it will be gone by the end of the day.

Yeah, and you probably get at least 300 bucks.......................................................

TreePointer said:
Wood Duck said:

I agree-- boxelder.

It's not difficult to mistake some boxelder bark for ash. Here's some that I cut a couple years ago:

boxelder_fresh1.gif

That's it. Luckily it is going in the back row of 2014 so will get burned in the shoulder season.

Gunks said:
Wood Duck said:

+1.

+2 (or whatever we're up to now) Cut a bunch of it last year because half of a tree came down in a storm. The good news is it dries fast and burns OK for the shoulder season weather.

wendell said:
That's it. Luckily it is going in the back row of 2014 so will get burned in the shoulder season.

Guess you are not one of those spreadsheet modelin mappin types. They would have that queued up and ready to burn as soon as it hit 19.999% My models suggest that will happen sometime before next Halloween.

Wendell, box elder is not that bad even though it gets a bad rap. Just remember that it is in the maple family. It is not my first choice to be sure but it will serve you well, especially spring and fall months. Even winter months during the daytime. A year should season it okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.