scrounging MDC property (CT)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
just curious if anyone's ever collected firewood on MDC land and how they went about it legally. i read that they have their own forestry crew and i imagine lots of equipment to haul and chip wood somewhere, but i ride my bike on one of the reservoirs a lot and see tons of bucked up wood laying around seemingly going to waste. some of it's right next to roads (albeit behind a fence/gate) so it seems like easy pickin's.

Have you contacted them directly yet? In my state, firewood can be cut with a permit in certain locations quite cheaply, although it generally requires a good bit of work as taking equipment off roadways is generally not allowed.

Here's the link to what appears to be their contacts:
http://www.themdc.com/contact_us.shtml

These statements from their site make me think that perhaps their own logging crew may be the only ones permitted to harvest firewood:

MDC Logging Crew
The MDC has its own expert logging crew. The crew cuts about 300,000 board feet of logs and 60 cords of firewood per year. This specially trained crew is utilized to harvest trees in areas that are environmentally sensitive. The MDC also sells standing timber to contractors on a bid basis. About 2 million board feet are marketed this way every year. Every tree to be harvested is marked by state-certified professional foresters. All MDC logging operations are supervised to assure strict adherence to contractual stipulations and sensitivity to the environment of the forest.
Dead Trees Are Important for Wildlife
Dead trees (snags) and dying trees (den trees) provide critically important breeding and feeding places for many types of animals. These trees become infested with ants, termites, beetle larvae and other insects and provide food for woodpeckers excavate cavities which can be used as shelter by many other animals. Additionally, woodpeckers, chickadees, titmice and nuthatches excavate nesting holes in these trees, which can later be used by screech and saw-whet owls, tree swallows, house wrens, bluebirds, squirrels and mice.
http://www.themdc.com/forestry_program.shtml

Never hurts to ask though.

Good luck

pen

They used to issue permits but some idiot started cutting unmarked wood and they canned the program. Only employees can get wood permits now, so if you know an employee try to piggyback with them,mother wise no way to legally take wood frm MDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.