Scrounging!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

darktower007

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2018
Chattanooga
I’m doing it backwards. I’m going to get a BK Ashford in the spring but I’m asking everyone I know on our community Facebook group for wood. They have a ton! Red oak and hickory. I’m going tomorrow to load my truck up with 18” rounds and bring them home to split.

Am I doing the steps wrong? Wood first than stove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd get way more than you think you need, as much as possible and split/stack as soon as you can. Maybe buy a cord or 2 of "seasoned wood" for the 2019/2020 season to be sure you have some dry wood for next season. Also just get a moisture meter, don't put it off like I did.

I’m doing it backwards. I’m going to get a BK Ashford in the spring but I’m asking everyone I know on our community Facebook group for wood. They have a ton! Red oak and hickory. I’m going tomorrow to load my truck up with 18” rounds and bring them home to split.

Actually I would say you are among the few who are doing it right . . . at least in terms of making sure your fuel will be ready to go vs. buying a woodstove in October and expecting to buy/process/find seasoned wood for it a day after the stove is installed.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Nope. Doing just fine. It takes two years to get ahead on firewood.

I started collecting wood seriously 2 years before my stove was installed. Then I built my wood shed the year before the stove. Most of my friends were laughing at me, but when I had the stove installed I had 3 years worth of wood on hand, with a winters worth ready to go. I think you’re doing it right! Scrounge all you can! And maybe try to sort it out by species so that you can keep track of the stuff that will need more seasoning time vs stuff you might be able to burn with a year of seasoning ( eg css jack pine)