sealing inside of Jotul F600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolley

Feb 8, 2015
Center Valley, Pa
So I visited my local WoodHeat stove store and asked for a product to seal the interior panels and secondary air manifold of my Jotul F600. They recommended Sil-Bond RTV 6500. I bought 2 tubes, came home and recaulked my stove as necessary. THEN... I read the label on the tube. It says temp range up to 500*F consistent and intermittently up to 650*F! I hope I am not screwed and have to remove all the caulking I just did and replace it. Does anyone have experience with this product? Any comments?
Thanks

Not sure what RTV silicone does when exposed to 1200F+ temps but it won't seal for long I assume. Inside of the firebox will get at least that hot. Furnace cement is the appropriate product for high temp use but what exactly are you sealing?

Damnit! I hope the silicone peels out easily.
I am sealing the seams inside the stove where the panels meet each other and around the secondary air manifold. I don't know why the stove place recommended this stuff! They'll be getting another visit from me tomorrow.

Reactions: spirilis
I don't know the F600 but do those really need sealing? What does Jotul suggest for this?

I'm with you... I don't know this stove either. I bought it used and I'm learning as I go. I'm resealing the areas that were degraded (chipped and cracked) on the inside of the stove in an attempt to make it perform as well as it can. As far as I can tell, these are factory sealed areas. All new gaskets are being installed as well.

I'm with you... I don't know this stove either. I bought it used and I'm learning as I go. I'm resealing the areas that were degraded (chipped and cracked) on the inside of the stove in an attempt to make it perform as well as it can. As far as I can tell, these are factory sealed areas. All new gaskets are being installed as well.
Ahh gotcha, if these include the joints between castings then I assume the canonical way to reseal would be to disassemble the stove, properly clean all furnace cement channels and reassemble the stove with new furnace cement beads inside the channels. Big job, but in the meantime some furnace cement to "caulk" worn out joints might get you through. Best to do a leak test on the stove with incense outside the stove joints to see if it gets sucked in (or just a grill lighter, see where flame gets sucked in)... that would constitute a true leak that may cause out-of-control burns. New gaskets address that issue too of course.

Hearthstone sells a nice ceramic cement that appears to be similar to the factory Jotul cement.

Would this be substantially better than just the basic $5 cartridges of Rutland furnace cement or gasket cement that you can get at your local Ace Hardware store?

If it's like what our Castine had sealing the joints, yes. That stuff was hard as nails and stuck on very well. It looked more ceramic than than furnace cement. I asked another poster who was rebuilding a Hearthstone about it a while back in another thread. It looked very similar to the Jotul joint caulk. This is what he was using.

spirilis
The stove has not been fired yet by me. I'm trying to be proactive and seal what possible leaks I can before I torch it off for the first time. So, I will be removing the secondary air manifold and all the friggin caulking I just did and redo with some type of furnace cement. Hopefully I will get an airtight stove.

Reactions: spirilis
Status
Not open for further replies.