Sealing my Quad MVAE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
I installed my OAK. Today while deep cleaning my stove I noticed two large holes, one on either side of the air inlet box, that I did not see during the installation and where the OAK flex hose attaches. They are about 3/4" square. I'd like to seal them to pull even more air from the outside but access is partially blocked by part of the stove casting. I'm interested in knowing if any of you could suggest some kind of sealant? Iwas thinking of mixing hi temp silicone with fiberglass fibers. This would tighten up thesilicone and prevent it from sagging. Problem is that the Rutland Hi Temp silicone only has a working time of 10 minutes and I think I need a little more time than that. I considered chimney cement but think I'd like something that remans flexible. I do not believe the area gets very hot. Pictures? Probably not. The next time I crawl into that space I will be fixing the problem. Thank you.

Have you tried to custom cut the flex hose to accommodate the casting and secure with silicone and or hose clamps farther up the intake line?

Have you tried to custom cut the flex hose to accommodate the casting and secure with silicone and or hose clamps farther up the intake line?

Lake girl, Thank you for your response. My mistake for being unclear. The two holes in question are on either side of the"air collection" box that the OAK flex hose attaches to. I'm thinking of cutting a small square of aluminum flashing, placing it against the hole along with some fast setting hi-temp silicone to hold it in place and then covering it with refractory or chimney cement to really seal it.

Status
Not open for further replies.