Sealing the Cleanout T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eric_s

Jul 22, 2008
Rhode Island
I removed the bottom cup from my T last night for the first time just to check. I replaced it (Duravent PVP) without adding any silicone. This morning I watched it when I started the stove and sure enough I had a visible leak. Do most people seal this joint? Any tricks to make it easy when it comes to breaking and resealing that cap?
Thanks,
Eric

If you are worrried about an air leak I would use metal tape rather than silicone...I comes off much easier for cleaning...I don't have mine sealed at all. My .02 cents

What does your vent system consist of? If you are seeing a leak at the tee there might be another problem. The tee cap is the lowest point in the system, or should be. If smoke is going down and then sneaking out around the clean out tee you might have other issues to worry about. This might be caused by air pressure but I would like to know the diameter of your system and what every part is starting at the stove.

Eric

It is a simple setup. 3" PVP. Appliance adapter into a T. Then up 18" to a 90. Horizontal out 2' with a cap. Been running for about two months with no leaks. Since I'm new to this, I figured during last nights cleaning I would check the cup at the bottom of the T. Cleaned it out and put it back on. Now I see some smoke.

eric_s said:
It is a simple setup. 3" PVP. Appliance adapter into a T. Then up 18" to a 90. Horizontal out 2' with a cap. Been running for about two months with no leaks. Since I'm new to this, I figured during last nights cleaning I would check the cup at the bottom of the T. Cleaned it out and put it back on. Now I see some smoke.

1.) There is no 3pvp-18. There is a 3pvp-18A (adjustable). What are you using? A 3pvp-6 and a 3pvp-12?

Eric

yes. I have a 12 and a 6 for the vertical 18" rise.

That is better than a straight horizontal but a 36" rise is recommended.

Just my suggestion.
Eric

Thanks for the input. I wanted to get more, but I didn't have any options based on the setup of the house.

Any thoughts on whether or not I should need any silicone for the cup on the cleanout T? I'm going to run the stove a bit longer to see if once I heat the pipe the draft will take care of my problem.

If you use silicone you will have a very hard time getting the cap off to clean it again.

With your set up I would have used a 90 elbow instead of the tee and just shop vac it out from the outside. Remove the cap and shove the hose in the vent. It will work if you can get to the HRC without some death defying stunt. Putting a shop vac on a ladder can be done but have someone video it so when you fall it is caught on tape.

Eric

Thanks. I just cleaned the o-ring surface and lit the stove. I got some visible smoke until the pipe warmed up (about a minute). It was coming primarily from between the inner and outer walls of the appliance adapter.

Eric - I'm thinking you might be right about pressure. I just so happens I did this when we are having high winds. It could be causing some issue since I have a horizontal termination. I'll watch it and see what happens when the winds die down.

If you are worrried about an air leak I would use metal tape rather than silicone...I comes off much easier for cleaning...I don’t have mine sealed at all. My .02 cents
If you use silicone you will have a very hard time getting the cap off to clean it again.
agree
I used silicon to seal the tee, yes no leaks etc. but what a pain to take off when cleaning

pelletfan said:
If you are worrried about an air leak I would use metal tape rather than silicone...I comes off much easier for cleaning...I don’t have mine sealed at all. My .02 cents
agree
I used silicon to seal the tee, yes no leaks etc. but what a pain to take off when cleaning

i tried to take my pipe apart with no success already, now i have to come up with a plan to clean the pipes

eric_s said:
I removed the bottom cup from my T last night for the first time just to check. I replaced it (Duravent PVP) without adding any silicone. This morning I watched it when I started the stove and sure enough I had a visible leak. Do most people seal this joint? Any tricks to make it easy when it comes to breaking and resealing that cap?
Thanks,
Eric
Don't use silicone - as others have noted it's a bear to get the bottom cap off afterward (and potentially impossible without a Dremel to cut it off). Use the foil tape - you can simply peel it off or run a utility knife around the joint to take off the cap when it's time to clean it out.

j00fek said:
pelletfan said:
agree

i tried to take my pipe apart with no success already, now i have to come up with a plan to clean the pipes

I use a piece of very flexible clear plastic tubing in the end of a shop vac hose to reach down into the tee thru my appliance adapter to clean mine. I also use a smaller diameter piece of tubing to reach some of the smaller places inside my stove. Works really well for me.

I actually figured out what the issue was and as it turns out it has nothing to do with the sealing. We are having high winds and it seems that is causing a significant draft for my furnace chimney located about 10' away from the stove. I have a raised ranch so the stove and furnace are on the same level. Anyway, when the stove starts the draft from the other chimney is pulling some of the exhaust back into the house. Once the blower gets going I don't seem be having a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.