Sealing two piece tee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zmcnutt

Oct 22, 2016
SW Ohio
I have a slight gap between the flange on the tee body and tee snout. I feel like I've tightened it down pretty good but still have a gap. Is anyone having this problem should I seal it some how? Thanks in advance

The 2 piece tee connection needs to be at a 90 degree angle. Sometimes in a tight thimble or flue the two pieces are slightly off, and there is a slight gap. My first option would try the maneuver them to see if you can't get a better fit, We have gone in and will apply some red RTV or other high temp sealant to the inside of the connection. That is not necessarily what I would recommend but is the only other option I know of. But the gap definitely needs to be "minor". Most sealants will dry up and crack, so you should check this and reapply when needed.

The 2 piece tee connection needs to be at a 90 degree angle. Sometimes in a tight thimble or flue the two pieces are slightly off, and there is a slight gap. My first option would try the maneuver them to see if you can't get a better fit, We have gone in and will apply some red RTV or other high temp sealant to the inside of the connection. That is not necessarily what I would recommend but is the only other option I know of. But the gap definitely needs to be "minor". Most sealants will dry up and crack, so you should check this and reapply when needed.

Thanks it is not a large gap and really the only way I can tell it is not sealed is by shining a flash light into the snout and it is lighting up inside of my existing chimney which I relined. I will try move it around to get a better fit. It almost seems like tightening too tight makes it worse.

sealing should not be required the fit should be pretty tight you can try realigning it to see if it helps. What manufacture is it from?

I noticed that as well. If it is insulated properly, I do not think this it will be a problem, BUT I felt uncomfortable with it so I used furnace cement on the inside and outside of mine before I insulated it. If you only have access from the inside, seal it with cement from the inside. It seemed to me the Rutland cement from TSC holds better to metal than the Oatey brand sold at my Lowes.

sealing should not be required the fit should be pretty tight you can try realigning it to see if it helps. What manufacture is it from?

I'm not sure of manufacture. It was included in my liner kit I purchased online.
I noticed that as well. If it is insulated properly, I do not think this it will be a problem, BUT I felt uncomfortable with it so I used furnace cement on the inside and outside of mine before I insulated it. If you only have access from the inside, seal it with cement from the inside. It seemed to me the Rutland cement from TSC holds better to metal than the Oatey brand sold at my Lowes.

It almost seems like tightening the band clamp draws the snout away from the tee body on one side. If I cant get a better fit I may try the furnace cement.

I'm not sure of manufacture. It was included in my liner kit I purchased online.
I have found that the main difference between the high quality stuff and the cheap stuff it the quality of the components they simply don't fit as well. That may be part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.