1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Searching for stoves as main heating system

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by DLArchitect, Jan 28, 2013.

1. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    If it was me I would install the Drolet Tundra downstairs when it becomes available in August . Finally a wood furnace with a window and secondary combustion.

IMG_1282.jpg Tundra_furnace_Drolet.jpg
    DLArchitect and raybonz like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    There's actually several of these out there, but this is a nice looking unit!
  3. DLArchitect

DLArchitect New Member

thanks begreen. i'll check it out in person - good idea. what do you think of the specs?
  4. DLArchitect

DLArchitect New Member

i agree, is the 18" standard for long island east coast? i'll process some of my own wood that i scavenge.
  5. DLArchitect

DLArchitect New Member

yes, interesting looking, utilitarian - i like it. haven't seen anything on pricing or specs tho
  6. aansorge

aansorge Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Minnesota
    Agreed. I have an SBI unit and it gets similar burn times to other 2.5 cu.ft. Stoves. I get anywhere from 5 to 12 depending on the wood, how I pack it and how much I burn it down. I think this stove is plenty controllable.

7. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Generally they cut 16-18" so you could end up recutting lots of wood...

Ray
  8. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    If your stove puts out enough heat and has a decent size fire box you can get away with a single burn in a 24 hour period. During december last year about half the days id fire up the Harman about 10PM get er blazin, pack er tight, and then turn the air all the way down for a slow cruise through the night. Still throwing some heat by the next afternoon on the same load. If it was above 35-40 or so daytime temp outside i would not have to reload till 10 again. If it was colder/cloudy id just load er a little earlier.
  9. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    That's cool that you are able to do this, but it's very unlikely to be possible if the stove is going to be the only heat source. Unless he gets a Blaze King, or likes the house warmer than 60 degrees, it will be unrealistic.

Is the stove the heat in your house? Or is the furnace kicking on in between loads, or heating other portions of your house? I have no other source but wood heat and there is no way I could load 24hrs apart and be comfortable.
    I sure could when I had the Blaze King though ;sick
  10. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    NO other heat source except lots of windows on the south end of the house. The house would get up to about 76-78 during the day. My Harman would be puttin out some heat most of the day. BY 10 PM it would be down to about 72 in the house.
    Like i said if it was cloudy or below 35 outside id have to fire off the harman earlier than 10. December was on the mild side last year. Jan & feb 2013 definitely 2 loads a day.
  11. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I don't think a design conscious architect is going to install a wood furnace in his living room, nor would I. It's overkill for this situation, especially if convection is reasonably good in the house.
  12. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Thats great!
  13. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Its important not to undersize the stove. If you have to constantly push the stove, to heat the space, chances are its too small for the job.