Sears gas stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hodges83

Oct 1, 2023
West Virginia
Hello everyone! I’m new to stoves all together. Besides plain old wood burning that is… my wife and I purchased our first home. When we moved in there was a gas stove in the home. I don’t know how to use this or turn it on or anything about it! I need some advice. It appears to say it was manufactured for Sears Roebuck Co and there’s a gas line running into it. Do I have to have a stove pipe connecting to my chimney to use this? There appears to be fake logs on it. (Sorry for my ignorance) I just honestly know nothing about it.. but I’m very curious and would like to get it going before winter!

IMG_7071.jpeg IMG_7069.jpeg

Looks like it’s a wood burning stove. It may have been converted to gas fuel & had a gas log set installed in it. Please post a pic of the entire stove - from the front - & a close up of what you have in the firebox.

Sure looks like a gas log set. You need to remove the logs to see if there is a rating plate. That will indicate whether or not it requires venting. Until that is determined, I would advise against using it.